Main > The Armoury

More stuff has arrived! I'm TRULY broke now

<< < (4/9) > >>

Sir Edward:

I've never done the board/nails thing with my mail projects, but having started the pattern on multiple occasions the hard way, I can see the benefit. Each time I've started something, I've just grumbled to myself that in the time it would take to hammer in the nails, I could have the pattern started, so I usually have just charged forth.

Sir James A:
I did all the butted without the board/nail, but I'm having vastly more trouble with the rivited. There's a specific way the ring has to pass through the others due to the overlap & rivit. I can't even do it while watching TV yet. :sadface:

Sir William:
I am not familiar with this board and nail thing you're talking about...I'm guessing it has to do with maille but in what way?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ser William on 2011-08-04, 15:27:01 ---I am not familiar with this board and nail thing you're talking about...I'm guessing it has to do with maille but in what way?

--- End quote ---

A single ring goes through each nail, and it's supposed to make it easy to see the "pattern" the mail makes so that all the rings get linked together properly. You can get 1 ring through 4, but if it's not done in the right pattern, the mail doesn't look right. It was helpful for the first few rows, when the rings are a bit wild and untethered, but once you get 4-5 rows done and it has more "shape" to it, I found it harder to work around than to do without it. At least I put it together in 5 minutes out of some random scrap I already had. :)

Sir Edward:

For some reason this discussion is giving me a Simpsons flashback:

Kang: It seems the earthlings won.

Kodos: Did they? That board with a nail in it may have defeated us. But the humans won’t stop there. They’ll make bigger boards and bigger nails, and soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version