"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Maille arrived  (Read 18221 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Maille arrived
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-22, 22:54:23 »
I got it from Icefalcon armory during their pre order sale, so it cost me 440 bucks not bad for maille that fits this well off the racks. And the sleeves aren't TOO bad, they're better than most the stuff I've seen, still nothing compared to the maille I saw on that one guys flickr though..

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-22, 23:10:29 »
killer deal and glad it fits man. can't wait to see it all together

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-23, 03:40:48 »
Yeah, custom fitted surcote and cloak, only 140. And man is there a LOT of fabric, and the detailing is superb. The closer you get the better it looks  ;D
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-25, 14:06:30 »
Methinks Sir Nathan has replied on the wrong thread.  Got more than one window open at a time, young Sir?  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-25, 16:34:42 »
I must have gotten lost in the Tab Jungle I have going on near the top of my screen, 'Doh!     :o
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2011-07-26, 08:52:04 »
A picture of my maille actually got accepted into some medieval art groups photos of medieval armor and arms. Guess I'm lucky some of the time, though my maille is one of only 5 pics of riveted maille on the entire website, rest is butted which most people aren't impressed by these days.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2011-07-26, 14:17:53 »

Cool! It's always nice to contribute and get noticed. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-01, 19:11:40 »
Ive got a similar chainbody, i keep it on a wood hanger in my closet (lol) they tend to get heavy on the shoulders though.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-12, 03:47:43 »
I only got one complaint about it really, I can't even handle it with bare hands, it is so abrasive on my hands and hurts to handle it without gloves. Round ring is prolly not like that and now I wish I got the smaller ringed maille cause I assume the 6MM stuff actually is softer on the hands. Or is it the opposite cause smaller rings means smaller corners which means it's also sharper. Thats the problem with online shopping I guess.
I do plan to get a short sleeved hauberk, but this one I plan to get is gonna be round ring with smaller rings, cause I think this sharp maille would cut apart any clothing I put it under, my gambeson I have is rather rough and holds up but for norman and viking reenacting I won't be able to wear it.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-12, 03:50:56 by Sir Ulrich »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-12, 14:34:45 »
I have not found the flat riveted rings to be overly brutal to my clothing...I mean, yes, there are times when it snags on my gambeson but my round ring butted hauberk used to do that as well.

However, for personal comfort, you should do as you see fit...
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-13, 01:56:00 »
Hhhm...That's rather odd. I have rather sensitive skin. (a single plant of poison ivy can turn me into a human lobster experiment) and my GDFB hauberk is perfectly fine to handle.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-13, 04:05:10 »
It has more to do with the oil thats on the maille and my hands get mucky from it. So I usually hand it with gloves on. I would assume that the smaller maille catches more due to more rivets involved. It may be because you got the 50% non riveted links along with wedge rivets which I think catch less.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-13, 13:23:19 »
are you putting the flat side in and the rivet head out? just wondering. it feels better on the body when you do it that way eheheh

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-15, 15:31:04 »
Ulrich, the oil is a necessary evil...you may as well get used to it, at least until you get a SS version.  Keep the oil on...unless you relish the idea of filling a barrel with sand, tossing in your hauberk, and rolling it all around til the rust spots disappear, after which, you'll need to oil it again to prevent that sort of thing.  It'll happen anyway, of course, just not as badly if you remove it outright.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-16, 01:54:54 »
I'm keeping the oil on it, doesn't really matter much because my gambeson is black anyway, just annoying to get on my hands while handling the maille. When it comes to rust, I'm just gonna keep it oiled so it doesn't rust much. Other than worrying about it rusting to the point of being useless junk, rust doesn't bug me much, mainly due to the fact I LIKE my armor to look worn and old unlike most people preferring shiny and new armor.
When it comes to the side of the rivets the smaller side is on the inside and the longer side is on the outside. The inside is a LOT more smooth than the outside, I assume this is how you're supposed to wear it as it doesn't wear the gambeson out that quickly.
Some of the rings on my maille are bent, as if they tested the armor with a sword or bow before it was shipped off. I just need to replace some of these rings I think cause some are poorly riveted and wont hold well. Guess thats why wedge riveted maille is more popular.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-16, 02:36:56 by Sir Ulrich »