Main > The Armoury

Name of your Sword

<< < (28/31) > >>

Sir Edward:

I think "puppy drowner" sounds good. A very high and noble name, indeed. :)

Corvus:
If I might chime in.

I do believe that since one's blade - when properly utilized - can become a close companion, the bestowal of a name is a goodly idea. Indeed the naming of blades can be found in a number of traditions for sure. In my own tradition blades are often given names. Most of mine have been named.

B. Patricius:
After searching the forums for something entirely different, I stumbled upon this.

I think it's hard to name a blade without first having it in your hands, and "getting to know her."  Basically it usually takes me one set of my leather gloves, and blisters before I come to that point.  I only have one blade that's named at the moment, my claymore.  She isn't pretty by any means, it's a one step above stainless wall hanger cheapo to be exact.  She does have a tang though and balances quite well.  Her name is "CoinnĂ­oll" which is Irish Gaelic for word of honor, diligence, pledge, and covenant. 

The cool story behind her is she was given to me, believe it or not, as a "party stuffer."  ;D My friend was graduating from Cal State Fullerton.  I, his girlfriend (now wife), and his sister got together and bought him a beautiful katana as a gift.  He practices kenjutsu, and iaido and he really did need a better sword as he was starting to get into cutting.  It's a beautiful hand forged, clay tempered beauty with a custom period made tsuba with a falcon and tiger on it.  Anyway, back to mine, somehow (I blame his wife) he got word of this gift we got him.  So for my "party stuffer" he spent the same amount of money as everyone else for me, but instead of just some random stuff, or the girlie girl stuff he got his sister and girlfriend, he bought me that claymore.  I was shocked.  It was my first sword I personally own.

Corvus:
Patricius, I agree; one should indeed get to know their blade before naming it. In my own case I have quite a number of sharp edged companions in my collection, though my two bestest buddies (grin) are a hand forged Roman Gladius which was specially made for me by a smith in Washington State(way back in the day) and my Cold Steel Grosse-Messer which though factory built(largely in India)is a real beauty to behold. By the way the Grosse Messer from Cold Steel certainly lives up to the hype in that it is delivered razor sharp and more than sturdy enough to cut things like logs and phone books in half ;)

I liked the story you shared about receiving your sword too, by the way. The best ones I think, are indeed given as gifts - more power there I think.

B. Patricius:
I agree.  Swords, guns, etc... for some reason things like that, always are a wee bit more special when given as a gift.

Any videos of the carnage of your Cold Steel?  8) I've been looking at getting a saber from them.  they're relatively inexpensive and very practical it seems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version