Main > The Armoury

Painting helms

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir William:
Thank you, Sir Rodney- that's him...soon as I read the name.  I was quite taken with his helm and shield.

Aiden of Oreland:
So, I have been looking around for sources on how to paint a helmet. I got inspired after looking at Morgan Bible images. My search brought me here. I can't seem to find anything about authentic paint to use on a helmet on the web. I plan to paint my GDFB kettle helm. It wasn't very expensive and it's more like a test dummy for me to play around with. So I want to paint it and see how it comes out. Would anybody know my best option for historical paint? Does it prevent rust? If this looks as nice as I hope I'll be sure to use it on other helms.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Page Aiden on 2015-04-19, 03:02:24 ---So, I have been looking around for sources on how to paint a helmet. I got inspired after looking at Morgan Bible images. My search brought me here. I can't seem to find anything about authentic paint to use on a helmet on the web. I plan to paint my GDFB kettle helm. It wasn't very expensive and it's more like a test dummy for me to play around with. So I want to paint it and see how it comes out. Would anybody know my best option for historical paint? Does it prevent rust? If this looks as nice as I hope I'll be sure to use it on other helms.

--- End quote ---

As far as I'm aware, the only existing painted helms are surviving late 15th century sallets, and they all seem to use a linseed-oil based paint.  I wouldn't recommend something like milk paint, as I don't think it will stick to metal.

Sir James A:
Painting will
--- Quote from: Page Aiden on 2015-04-19, 03:02:24 ---Does it prevent rust?

--- End quote ---

Painted metal can't rust unless the paint scrapes or flakes off. I'm sure it was one of the benefits, if not the primary reason, for painting helmets.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-04-19, 13:47:33 ---
--- Quote from: Page Aiden on 2015-04-19, 03:02:24 ---So, I have been looking around for sources on how to paint a helmet. I got inspired after looking at Morgan Bible images. My search brought me here. I can't seem to find anything about authentic paint to use on a helmet on the web. I plan to paint my GDFB kettle helm. It wasn't very expensive and it's more like a test dummy for me to play around with. So I want to paint it and see how it comes out. Would anybody know my best option for historical paint? Does it prevent rust? If this looks as nice as I hope I'll be sure to use it on other helms.

--- End quote ---

As far as I'm aware, the only existing painted helms are surviving late 15th century sallets, and they all seem to use a linseed-oil based paint.  I wouldn't recommend something like milk paint, as I don't think it will stick to metal.

--- End quote ---

Interesting... Would you have any particular mixtures or brand recommendations to use? I managed to dig a little deeper and found this neat little site: http://www.cyberlipid.org/perox/oxid0011.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version