Main > The Armoury

GDFB riveted stainless steel mail

<< < (2/5) > >>

SirNathanQ:
Well if you can't stand the wieght, then aluminum is your only option really  :-\

BTW, Sir Ed, could we have another child board for this section for reviews?

Sir Edward:

All aluminum is susceptible to stretching and tearing, especially if you're clamping other armor over it. I think folks here have mostly used the Thinkgeek aluminum, which is very cost effective, but it's also some of the softer stuff out there. I haven't had a chance to work with the GDFB versions yet.

My aluminum is butted stuff that I made from electric fence wire, in 14ga. I put some steel links in key places (the inside of the crotch splits, and the entire neck opening), and it holds up really well.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-12-18, 15:50:23 ---Well if you can't stand the wieght, then aluminum is your only option really  :-\

BTW, Sir Ed, could we have another child board for this section for reviews?

--- End quote ---

Not a bad idea. :)

Ian:

--- Quote from: The Red Knight on 2011-12-18, 13:55:24 ---I'm torn between these two:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB2542&name=Chain+Mail+Hauberk+%2D+Dome+Riveted+%2D+Aluminum+60%27%27+Chest
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB2528&name=Chain+Mail+Hauberk+%2D+Wedge+Riveted%2DSolid+Ring+%2D+Flattened+ring+%2D+Mild+Steel+60%27%27+Chest

Does anyone have any experience with GDBF aluminum maille?  I've heard aluminum rings in maille from other manufacturers can stretch and break around the shoulders from the weight of the shirt.  How's GDBF hold up?  How does it look in real life?  I don't want something that looks like its from a fantasy movie on the SciFi network!  Weight is really the only thing keeping me from going with steel.  Any thoughts?

--- End quote ---

I've got an icefalcon aluminum riveted.  To be honest, the weight is fantastic, the look is horrid.  It's bright silver and super shiny.  It doesn't look right at all, but it feels great!  It's also easy to break and lose rings.  The steel is heavy, but looks so much better.  Titanium will give the look of steel and the weight of aluminum but it's outrageously expensive.

Sir Patrick:
I think I'll stick with steel.  I think there's only a five pound difference between the shirts anyway, and I'd much rather have something that won't break and looks more accurate.  Would love to go with Icefalcon, but with as little as I get to armour up throughout the year (not as big a Renfaire scene out here as a lot of you guys enjoy), I just can't justify the cost difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version