Main > The Armoury

GDFB riveted stainless steel mail

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
I stay with steel because it sorta tarnishes to this blackish grey color and I like that. Just dont want it turning all rusty, a rust spot here and there wont bug me though. Main reason I went with Icefalcon maille is cause it's a smaller size and wont have excessive weight on my skinny frame. The sleeves are also longer and probably easier to tailor. Icefalcon stainless is the way to go though if you want minimum maintenance and accurate looks with the whole black coating.

Sir James A:
Seconded on a review section.

I'd also suggest going with the steel mail. Dark is not always period and there are period accounts of shiny armor.

Thorsteinn:
Is anyone edging their maille in leather? Adding ties over key locations? Is it as good as advertised?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-12-19, 04:47:17 ---I'd also suggest going with the steel mail. Dark is not always period and there are period accounts of shiny armor.

--- End quote ---

Stainless steel is another option that Icefalcon has. It's more expensive, but not nearly as bad as titanium. You get all the weight (and the right look) of steel, but it's much more rust resistant. I have stainless chausses from Icefalcon, and they've been maintenance-free so far.

SirNathanQ:
I've got a GDFB hauberk, riveted, flat ring, steel.
The weight isn't a burden at all. At less than 20 lbs, I can run around with the thing on for very long periods of time. The tailoring jobs I did were to add a split (period accurate for a hauberk) and to taper the sleeves. Hard, time consuming, but extremely rewarding.

Acutally, rust hasn't been a problem at all. Only time was when I got some sweat on it. Since then, I've worn it multiple times and no maintenace needed. Definatly worth the $400 IMO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version