Main > The Armoury

New Gambeson maybe?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Ulrich:

Thats how long my gambeson is as you can see it lacks thigh flaps (which I could add maybe? Just need fabric to do it). The maille I ordered was Icefalcon stuff so it has the split in the middle from what I know.
This is the thread where I read that they stunk (and no not a little bit of BO or whatever, like rotting FLESH stink due to decomposing leather) http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131833&
I actually saw this place http://www.forgeofsvan.com/en/vmchk/Gambesons/View-all-products.html that sells gambesons as well as padded chausses. Been considering it but maybe I'll do that afterward, they come in my colors too (red and black). Can't seem to find any american based companies that offer padded causses in my size ><

Sir Wolf:
do what i did. the GDFB padded chausis were too large for me too. i cut off the leather back parts and sewed them together so they fit.

Sir Matthew:
I think I would go with padded chausses myself. In the end, it's your kit so go with what is most comfortable for you and what you can afford. I prefer to have seperate armor clothing that I don't mind getting dirty and then my "courtly" or gentleman's clothing that I want to keep nice and clean. Most of my reenacting kit is rarely washed to get that worn in CPH look that the unit I do most of my work with likes. It also makes me feel more "authentic", but my wife tells me I'm odd like that  :D

Sir James A:
I agree with padded chausses. Is shortening the hauberk to gambeson length an option? A better question might be is there a specific period you're shooting for, and would a hauberk or haubergeon be more suitable? Shortening the mail is easy, and takes all of 5 minutes to clip a line of rings off. Then, you have leftover patches if you want to make mail sabatons or something, too.

Sir William:
Sir Ulrich, I know what you mean.  I ended up trimming my current hauberk and adding my own split at the front and back- trimmed the sleeves and the bottom hem, as it were.  Made a huge difference and shed some of the weight.  As for the dirt and stink well, it would be period-accurate...just putting that out there. 

I make it a point not to wash my arming clothes or surcoats until after Faire season's over...as time goes on I get the look (and smell) of a knight on campaign, with each successive showing I'm more 'authentic'.  Heh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version