"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Earthquake on US east coast  (Read 6906 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Earthquake on US east coast
« on: 2011-08-23, 18:57:39 »

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0005ild.html

I hope everyone is safe. We don't usually get earthquakes like this on the east coast. It's rare to get something much higher than 2.5, which you'd be lucky to even notice.

But it does make me wonder. How common were earthquakes in medieval Europe? How would they have reacted to it?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: Earthquake on US east coast
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-23, 19:51:03 »
I hope everyone is safe.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-23, 22:41:03 »
That is a very good question!  What a great time to lay siege; the walls were already weakened.  :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-23, 23:11:38 »
doing fine, but there is a large fog coming out of the mts....OMG there huge bat like insects ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hehehe

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-24, 01:25:51 »
Best wishes to those of you who were discomforted by the disturbance, and I hope all is well.

As for quakes in the Middle Ages, I know that the Holy Land experienced several during the time of the Crusades, damaging key fortifications.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-24, 01:26:08 by Frater de Beaumanoir »

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-24, 02:38:34 »
Just another reason to walk around in full armour!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-24, 15:52:20 »
Indeed...I thought it was a terrorist attack at first.  I'd read this book earlier this year, The Hammer of Eden by Ken Follett where these eco-terrorists stole a seismic vibrator, positioned it over a fault line and caused large tracts of land to shift and crumble, yada yada yada - its a crazy idea but it wouldn't be the first time someone tried something crazy.  Like flying planes into skyscrapers.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-24, 19:58:48 »
Sir William, you're not far off from my second thought - we're approaching the 10th year of 9/11 - and it almost seemed a "test run" of things to come, assuming that our "earthquake machine" in Alaska is truly capable of such feats and that the tech has been reproduced elsewhere.

My first thought was "Wait, what? Earthquake?". Apparently I was in the car driving to lunch. Didn't feel or see a thing. I had no idea until I got 2 text messages about it from my dad. He said it's the largest one since the late 1800s, for Virginia. As far as status here on top of the mountain, almost nothing as a visible indicator - only a couple lego-sized knights in my display cabinet were knocked over, which could have even been from the cats jumping on top of the cabinet. My brother in law's parents were not so lucky - they had windows break and some other damage (they are in PA).

Red Knight - indeed!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-24, 20:41:27 »

Yeah, the layout of the underlying geology in the area transmitted the energy to the northeast much greater than it did in any other direction. They felt it all the way up into NY and CT. Over here in Charles Town, it was just a heavy vibration. To the south, they didn't feel it much beyond NC.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-26, 22:38:10 »
I felt it, I was like WTF why is everything shaking. Then I got up and was like "time to leave" I and then it stopped... But it was strange...

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-30, 02:33:54 »
I was in school. Didn't notice it. everyone around me started freaking out. I had quite a good laugh from that.   And then the anti MDRF coalition of Evil People decided to finish the job with Hurricane Irene when their dastardly earthquake didn't manage to finish the job!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-30, 15:17:12 »
In Reno we get hundreds of micro quakes a day. We worry when they stop, not when they start (Reno has 2 faultlines on either side of it).
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-30, 15:23:17 »
Here on the east coast, the geology is relatively stable. It's very old and cold dense rock. We rarely get noticeable earthquakes, but when they're any real size, they get carried far and wide. In California, a 5.8 isn't that unusual, but it would be fairly localized. Here, we felt it all up and down the east coast, from at least the Carolinas up into Canada. That's what, 1000 miles or more?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-30, 15:25:18 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-30, 19:42:30 »
At the least...the entire eastern seaboard felt it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 2011-09-01, 02:11:08 »
I guess living on the Ring of Fire makes you more aware of it. More expectant.

Just think of the fun if the Crater Lake Caldera, Long Valley Caldera, or Yellowstone go.

-Ivan
Fall down seven, get up eight.