"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188972 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #210 on: 2012-07-22, 12:45:32 »
Here's a picture of that castle and the caves.

Sir John
« Last Edit: 2012-07-22, 12:56:34 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #211 on: 2012-07-22, 20:26:11 »
Ah! I thought it sounded neat, and seeing the pictures, that it looked familiar. I had to google for it, but I've seen it before. Ghost Hunters did an episode there and were in the caves. Neat!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #212 on: 2012-07-22, 20:28:34 »
Sir James,

I shouldn't be posting this, as I was trying to keep things with this knight positive...but when he was killed...he was sitting on the castle toilet! Truth!

Sir John

PS- any update on my knighting?
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #213 on: 2012-07-23, 12:26:47 »
Sir James,

I shouldn't be posting this, as I was trying to keep things with this knight positive...but when he was killed...he was sitting on the castle toilet! Truth!

Sir John

PS- any update on my knighting?

I'll send you a private message regarding the knighting.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #214 on: 2012-07-23, 15:46:25 »
Speaking of castles, for any of you ever visiting New England area (like say for a future knighting ;D) ..... I suggest a truely spectacular wonder created in images of the 12th century. Hammond Castle in Gloucester, MASS. www.hammondcastle.org
« Last Edit: 2012-07-23, 16:01:12 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #215 on: 2012-07-23, 20:52:18 »
woah!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #216 on: 2012-07-28, 14:09:29 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Andreas von Sonnenberg" - Eberhard von Wallenburg built his family castle: "Nuzod" around 1258. During a feud, the castle was destroyed and rebuilt with the new name: "Sonnenberg" or "Sunny Mountain." Eberhard I purchsed the land in 1455 and became the first Count of Sonnenberg. When he died in 1479 his eldest son Eberhard II inherited the lands and title. Upon his death in 1483, his eldest son, Johann, became the 3rd (Imperial) Count.

Johann died in 1510 and his brother Andreas became the 4th Count. Andreas was born in 1472 and educated not only in knightly exercises, but also in the sciences. After his training, he served under Siegmund of Austria and fought in his battles. Around 1488 he moved with Emperor Frederick III against the Flemish. He also participated in wars against the French and later the Turks. In these campaigns he distingished himself. In 1504 he led Imperial troops in the Landshut War of Succession, in which he was captured. After termination of his captivity, he retired to his ancestral estates in Swabia.

The personal enmity between Andreas and Felix von Werdenberg reached its peak in 1511, when he insulted Felix at a large gathering. Count Felix plotted to muder Andreas which occurred later that year. Andreas sufferred from 20 lance and sword wounds. With his death the male line became extinct.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #217 on: 2012-08-01, 09:06:25 »
"They told me I was daft to build a castle on the sunny mountain! So I did anyway!"
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #218 on: 2012-08-05, 19:45:08 »
Sorry but my internet service was down since wednesday at hime. It just now cane back on, but no time to do a knight of the week todat...next week..

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #219 on: 2012-08-18, 14:41:17 »
This week's knight of the week: "The Hepburn knights of Markle" - (I couldn't resist since I live on Markle Street) The Markle castle was originally called Merkill. The Hepburns were decendant from a Northumberland knight, Sir Robert de Hepburn (1200-1246.) Sir Robert was made first lord of the manor Newton. Sir Robert had two sons: John and Nicholas. Not much is known about John, who was born in 1230, but Nicholas was born in 1240 and died in 1294Nicholas assumed the role of head of the family. Nicholas' son Adam was born in 1280 and died in 1371. In 1343, Adam was granted lands and castle of Markle, and were passed to his son, John (1325-1371) on 1363.

Upon his death Markle passed to his brother, Sir Patrick (1321-1402). It was this knight who saved Lord Dunbar from a wild horse and was rewarded by marrying the Lord's daughter and became Lord of Hailes castle, which included the lands and castle of Markle.  It was Sir Patrick whi built the Tower of Markle in the late 1300s. In 1401 the Markle castle was burned. In 1402 the lands passed to his son, Sir Adam (1386-1446), who was knighted in 1424.

His son, another Sir Patrick (1412-1483),  who was granted in 1453, the titles: First Lord of Hailrs, Lord of Markle, Sheriff of Berwick and made a peer in the Parliament of Scotland. He also rebuilt Markle Castle.

The Hepburns rose from vassaldom in the 1400's to become powerful Lothian Lords, holding the castles of Hailes, Markle and Waughton. Markle Castle was again burned in 1544 during the English/Scottish boundary wars, but was again rebuilt in 1588.

The rise of the Hepburns ended abruptly with the assination of Sir James. 4th Earl of Bothwell. Markle Castle  then passed to the Steward Earls of Bothwell.

The crest of the Hepburns was a horse's head from the event when Sir Patrick saved Lord Dunbar from the wild horse.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #220 on: 2012-08-25, 14:08:34 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Zawisza Czarny" - He was also known as the "Black Knight" because of his black hair and complexion. He was born about 1370 in Poland. He was knighted in 1396. He was married in 1410 and the castle "Roznow" was given to him as a dowery. The same year he took part in the Battle of Grunwald. In 1412, he participated in a conference bewteen Sigismund and Tvriko II of Bosnia, where he won a tournament held there with 15,000 knights! In 1416 he participated in another tournament where he defeated Sir John of Aragon. It was said that Sir Zawisza never lost a joust!

In 1417 he became  Count of Kruszwica and in 1419 participated in the Hussite wars where he was taken prisoner by the Czechs and eventually released in return for a high ransom. In 1420 he became Count of Spisz. In 1428 he was Knight Commander of 500 knights fighting the Turks, where Sigismund's Forces were defeated by the Turkish forces. They retreated over the Danube River, but there was not enough boats. Sir Zawisza's forces covered the retreat but he refused to cross until his men did. He was either killed in that battle or later in captivity.

He was reguarded as the model of knightly virtues. He was one of the most popular of the heros of Poland. There is a famous saying when talking about someone: "Polegal jak na Zawisza." (Rely on him like you would on Zawisza.)

(Just a word of warning...I am nearing the end of the knights I researched and made outfits for...but not quite yet.)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #221 on: 2012-09-08, 14:31:32 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Ulubatli Hasan" - He was born in a small village called "Ulubat" (Turkey) in 1453. Hasan was a Sapahis, which were a group of elite knights. Weapons for these cavalrymen were a light lance, a bow carried on the left, and a quiver of arrows carried on the right. A shield was strapped on the left arm. Hasan was the holder of a fief and was in the service of the Sultan Mehmed II. He achieved legendary status as a heroic Turkish maytar in the Battle of Constantanople in 1478. The Turks tried to take this city several times before and once again it looked like victory was lost. Hasan was one of the first to climb the walls of the city, followed by 30 of his friends. He carried only a shield, a sword and the Ottoman flag. When he reached the top, he threw away his shield and planted the Ottoman flag, which he defended until 12 of his friends also reached the top. After that he collapsed with 27 arrows still in his body. Seeing the Ottoman flag inspired his troops and kept their spirits up until the city had been captured.  Hasan has remained as a symbol of the brave Muslum, and a Turkish hero.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #222 on: 2012-09-22, 14:10:29 »
Sorry I haven't posted lately, but I'm kinda down, it's the anniversary of my wife's death. Plus I haven't had any feedback from the members. But once I see my cardiologist in Ocrober, I hope to post more knights.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #223 on: 2012-09-22, 14:41:39 »
so sorry this is a down time for you. i know in February we try to keep my mom busy as thats when my father passed away.  it never seems to go away does it?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #224 on: 2012-09-23, 03:44:19 »
Sorry I haven't posted lately, but I'm kinda down, it's the anniversary of my wife's death. Plus I haven't had any feedback from the members. But once I see my cardiologist in Ocrober, I hope to post more knights.

Sir John

I read them all, but none of the names or places sounded familiar, and didn't have anything to commet. I've been a whirling tornado the last few weeks, helping a divorced friend move, my brother got his driver's license, I returned his car but mine is still dead (5 months later) and had to purchase one, and I've been excessively busy preparing for Days of Knights (a weekend event in October), building furniture, making truck repairs, making armor tweaks, and lots of planning and organizing. It's extremely hectic.

I'm sorry to hear about the anniversary of the passing. It's a good time to stay busy. Are you working on any other projects? Hoping for good news for you in October.