"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
The Round Table / Re: Knights of Pythias - An American Knightly Order
« Last post by jason77 on 2017-10-26, 16:50:57 »
I should probably clarify that by "knights militant" I don't mean anything violent bent or militia based. I'm only speaking of a martial art quality to a group - like Christian Toblers Order.
« Last post by jason77 on 2017-10-26, 12:29:36 »
So the KSCA was highlighted in my last response and provided a definition - great thinking on Ed's part here. Knights of the SCA is an interesting re-enactment group but I am not a big fan of the SCA. I visited a group once and they were pretty stuck up and snobbish. They also didn't do anything for the community at large. I also am not into the whole "persona" thing - pretending to be something you're really not is too much like cosplay. I'm pretty content with just doing HEMA around here locally as we are quite active but I also enjoy local volunteering and it would be fun to mix the two like the Knights of the Fiat Lux have done.
« Last post by jason77 on 2017-10-26, 12:17:41 »
They're not a Christian order nor even a religious order. The founder was a secular Jew and most members are non-religious. The only religious over tones it has is the insistence that members profess a belief in a Higher Power, which could be anything. I'm also not looking to join anything per se. I was just trying to show an interesting historical organization with a deep American heritage. I don't know what the KSCA is? I Googled it and it comes up as a chess club and a cricket club - not my interest although I do love a good game of chess.
« Last post by Thorsteinn on 2017-10-26, 00:50:29 »
Oddly if they had a militant branch I would have to oppose them. I'm not a big fan of modern pseudo-Christian groups that go militaristic. Fairly soon they get taken over by the Motivated, and as St George said those are folks to watch out for.

If you'e looking for an Order with history & pomp that does martial activities outside this one to join, why not become a KSCA?

And again, it's nifty that the Knights of Pythias are part of US history.
« Last post by jason77 on 2017-10-25, 21:20:07 »
I guess the case could be made that since they received an endorsement from the President and are one of only two organizations to receive a Congressional charter then that makes them the closest thing we have to an American counterpart of the European Chivalric societies. Of course they don't have any intrinsic benefit anymore. Back in the day they offered life insurance to their members which was a big draw since this wasn't widely available for the common joe. Their main goal now is to raise money for charity which is a good thing but I think that's all they pretty much do and there are other groups doing that as well; i.e. the Salvation Army, Knights of Columbus, United Way, etc. Now if they started up a Knights Militant branch I would have to jump on board. They would then be like a historical version of the Fiat Lux guys.
« Last post by Thorsteinn on 2017-10-25, 19:58:10 »
Interesting bit of history. I remember seeing their building in Virginia City a few times when I was there.

They also have a requirement that flat excludes 20% of Americans, more if they're younger, and, as far as I can tell, there is no articulatable benefit to joining them over some other group.

But still, interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Pythias
The Round Table / Re: Article Pertaining to the Defense of Women
« Last post by Thorsteinn on 2017-10-25, 19:52:00 »
Alas 3 of those 5 require one to not be socially blind, and I do have a rather hard time seeing that kind of thing. Thus I rely on my wife. If someone needs to be vamoosed she shall tell me if she can't do it herself.
The Great Hall / Re: Hail Fellows
« Last post by Thorsteinn on 2017-10-25, 19:49:09 »
Welcome!
The Great Hall / Re: Hello to all!
« Last post by Thorsteinn on 2017-10-25, 19:48:51 »
Welcome!
The Courtyard / Re: Concussions, informed consent, and CTE
« Last post by Jon Blair on 2017-10-25, 14:00:58 »
I've been concerned about just this very thing when it comes to armoring up and getting into clubbing fights. I rather need my brain, such as it is,  and would hate to see it scrambled. I'm certainly not going to be able to market my looks to make a living. But what has concerned me is the question of whether my natural caution has crossed the line into outright cowardice.
"Clubbing" fights, jousts, "reenactment" battles, and the like are sports for entertainment, not realities of life as they were for knights back in the day. It's not cowardice to say, "I value my health and well-being, and I don't want to risk it with a dangerous activity," especially if you have others depending on your health and well-being. Cowardice is having a lack of courage, thus being unwilling to do that which you know to be necessary and correct due to fear of danger, difficulty, or opposition of others. No one will die or be hurt if you don't fight in a clubbing fight. You didn't give your word to defend the realm in a reenactment battle. So, there is no necessity to do the thing, hence no cowardice.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]