"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Armour Stand  (Read 20506 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Armour Stand
« Reply #15 on: 2011-06-04, 00:32:26 »
That's very cool! My armour just sits in plastic crates when not in use.  :o  Perhaps I should try making a stand like yours!

I wonder if it is possible to make the shoulders slightly angle downwards so that it looks more like when you are wearing it? I'm not sure how one would do this with the stock pieces at Home Depot.

They should have 45* angle pieces. I know the smaller diameter piping does, but I've never looked for the larger diameter ones.

If that's not viable or is too expensive, I made my stands out of 2x4s:

I think I spent $6 in materials, it's easy and takes maybe 15-20 minutes. Nothing more than 2x4s and some screws, and I've used the same style for 4 sets of armor.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #16 on: 2011-06-04, 00:55:54 »
how do u get them to attach to the walls like that and not fall? do u not have the same gravity limits as i do?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-06-04, 15:52:22 »
how do u get them to attach to the walls like that and not fall? do u not have the same gravity limits as i do?

I make gravity work for me, instead of against me. They're leaning against the wall at a 15* or so angle. Since there's no base, it's easy to maneuver, and once I have the armor on it, I just lean it against the wall. I have some 50 lb clear fishing line that I used to tie the legs around the "hips" area (where the horizontal brace is) to keep them upright, and also to tie the spaulders and arms to the top; there's no actual arms on my frame. I have some 45* shoulders that I put on my original prototype frame, but the armor sat funny; I think I need it for the 14th C armor pictured, since the shoulders are too far "in". I'll be doing that soon, since the armor is off for (hopeful) use soon.

The first one I made (barely visible on the left) for my samurai armor, I put feet on. I realized it was better to forego them, so that I can put sabatons/shoes on them, since there's no "base".

Edit: the arms and spaulders are tied off in an X fashion; left arm crossed over and tied on the right, right over the left. They stay in place well, but I haven't devised a system to attach the gauntlets yet, which I just got a few weeks ago (and the stand is many months old).
« Last Edit: 2011-06-04, 15:54:24 by James Anderson III »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2011-06-04, 16:20:55 »
hahaqh no i meant cause your picture is sideways ;)

i did a cross bottom, i put a 2x4 out from each side of the vertical one. then i ended up taking the back on off so i could scoot it closer to the wall.  i have 2 small headless nails on each of the shoulders and each side of the horizontal waist 2x4 in order to hold the pauldrons and legs at their arming points
« Last Edit: 2011-06-04, 16:22:43 by Sir Wolf »

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #19 on: 2011-06-06, 12:39:21 »
Forgot to ask: How do you attach the gauntlets?

Sir Wolf is correct.  I've drilled a few holes near the termination of the PVC "wrists" allowing paracord ties to secure the gauntlets.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #20 on: 2011-06-06, 12:42:27 »
Nice armour stands everyone!  Maybe I should rename this thread "Show us your racks".  On second thought, that title could be misinterpreted outside the armour and weapon community.  ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-06-06, 13:39:58 »
LOL

So let it...once they get on here, it will only be their fault if they are disappointed as they expected otherwise.  ;)
« Last Edit: 2011-06-06, 13:40:11 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #22 on: 2011-06-06, 13:44:03 »
I meant they might expect to see one of these.  :D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2011-06-06, 14:19:19 »
Even BETTER!!!  I always wanted one of those for the kids...you know, when they get out of line.  ;)
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2011-06-06, 15:40:28 »
Even BETTER!!!  I always wanted one of those for the kids...you know, when they get out of line.  ;)

And to, uhm... help them grow faster. Yeah. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2011-06-06, 17:47:19 »
Oh no, Sir Edward, they never need help in THAT department.  No, no- I was thinking purely from the corporal punishment point of view.  Just the mere sight of it should be enough to keep most children in line...but there are always the rapscallions- those ones you just have to lace'm in and they'll break but the odd one or two, you might actually have to stretch a bit just so they know it could happen.

Hey, it works man, trust me...sounds harsh, but very effective.  ;)

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #26 on: 2011-06-06, 20:59:41 »
that is AWESOME! i am so building one to put my son on. he's short for his age

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2011-06-07, 23:33:05 »
hahaqh no i meant cause your picture is sideways ;)

Oops. Egg on my face with that one, I tell you. :)

Rodney, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I hope I didn't step on your toes by posting pics and info of my stands.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #28 on: 2011-06-08, 12:47:47 »
Quote from: James Anderson III
Rodney, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I hope I didn't step on your toes by posting pics and info of my stands.

Impossible, I wear sabatons.  ;)

Please share your armour racks.  You could help save someone else some time and frustration in the future.   I really should have called this thread "Show us your rack".  :)

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #29 on: 2011-06-16, 12:57:04 »
any other armour racks? or tub pictures? hahaha