Main > The Round Table

Heroic Acts To Protect The Word 'Hero'

<< < (2/2)

Sir James A:
Heroic acts are not always performed by a hero, and I see lots of times where people are called a hero, when it was just that they did something heroic once. To me, repeated heroic acts make someone more of a hero than a single time.

If I stand up to a bully one time, it's a heroic act - especially if I come across other bullies that I do nothing about. If I stand up to every bully I ever come across, that's more of a "hero", at least to me.

I agree the word is tossed about very lightly the last decade or so, but I find a lot of blame on media sensationalism and trying to get their viewer base.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-03-25, 16:53:38 ---Heroic acts are not always performed by a hero, and I see lots of times where people are called a hero, when it was just that they did something heroic once. To me, repeated heroic acts make someone more of a hero than a single time.

If I stand up to a bully one time, it's a heroic act - especially if I come across other bullies that I do nothing about. If I stand up to every bully I ever come across, that's more of a "hero", at least to me.

--- End quote ---

Sir Geffroi de Charney would agree. Those who do more have more worth.

Robert Hinds:
I agree. The word hero is tossed around too much. That Domino's delivery driver didn't put his life in danger at all (as far as I know), all he did was make a phone call to the police.

By todays standards darth vader could be called a hero for killing the emporer in the last few minutes of his absolutely horrible life.

Joshua Santana:
The word Hero is being overused with no regards to the original meaning or intent of the word.

To me, a Hero is someone who has done the impossible in saving more than one life.  He has done the biggest act of saving others before himself and is ready to die for the sake of making sure those people are safe from harm.

This does apply to our military and veterans.  It also applies to someone who is not famous but has done an act of saving an innocent life from being mercilessly slaughtered. 

A quote from Thoreau said this: "The Hero is simply the most common and obscurest man in the world."

That is my opinion on what makes a Hero different from today's ever changing definition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version