Main > The Round Table

Heroic Acts To Protect The Word 'Hero'

(1/2) > >>

Sir Edward:

Heroic Acts To Protect The Word 'Hero'
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/09/134387637/heroic-acts-to-protect-the-word-hero

Is the word "hero" getting overused, and thus diminished? I think this article makes a good case.

Sir William:
I know what you mean...a hero used to mean someone who performed above and beyond the call of duty, to borrow the phrase, on a regular basis and sought no recognition for said actions, only the doing of them.  I think the 71 ear old who beat off her attackers acted in a heroic fashion, but what was the rest of her life like?  Did she used to be a Nazi sympathizer, for instance?

The Domino's driver was also heroic as he knew the routine and questioned when it seemed to change for no apparent reason - which ultimately led to him saving that woman's life.

Michael Vick?  Maybe he can get 'most improved citizen' but definitely not a hero.  I don't consider John McCain a hero either...he persevered through adverse conditions that have broken many a POW, but that in itself is not heroic to me.  What would've been heroic (and probably dumb) is if he'd stood up to his captors and denounced their regime, even if it led to his death.  

Thorsteinn:
Can one be a hero for doing good things and standing up for what you believe? Even if those acts later lead to your evntual fame & fortune if you didn't do them to get that fame?

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-03-24, 22:53:51 ---Can one be a hero for doing good things and standing up for what you believe? Even if those acts later lead to your evntual fame & fortune if you didn't do them to get that fame?

--- End quote ---

I would yes, so long as the acts are performed with a selfless intent.  If being recongnized for being heroic nullified the heroism, we'd have no heros!

Sir William:
I think the truly heroic acts are performed by people who do not seek to be heroes and are most likely uncomfortable with the moniker of 'hero' when it is applied to them.  Being a hero is pretty much what you described, Ivan (and Red).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version