"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: Brian Price / Chivalry Bookshelf / Revival controversy  (Read 25685 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Brian Price / Chivalry Bookshelf / Revival controversy
« Reply #30 on: 2011-03-12, 03:22:40 »
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1939658#1939658

Quote from: Talbot
Today, Brian's compensation for the armour owed to me but never delivered arrived. I have several cases of books. There are three titles present.

Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship by Christian Henry Tobler
In Service of the Duke  by Christian Henry Tobler
Arte Gladiatoria: 15th century Swordsmanship of Filippo Vadi by Luca Porzio and Gregory Mele.

Brian's debt to me for this armour is settled.

I will now work with the authors to figure out what to do with them. The good news is you will soon be able to purchase them free from guilt. If anyone is looking for copies please PM or email me. Once I have gotten them to the authors we can get you the books.

BTW, "In Service of the Duke" is freakin' awesome. As I said earlier, this is as close as you're going to get to having a real period manuscript on your bookshelf. It's a full-color reproduction, leather bound on archival paper. Heirloom quality. I highly encourage people to look into it if they can afford it.

I have #459/900. It makes me mad that Christian hasn't seen a penny in royalties for this book.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-12, 03:28:41 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #31 on: 2011-03-12, 04:56:54 »
I have emailed Talbot this evening and he has already responded.  I have a copy of "Secrets" and "Gladiatoria" on hold pending his conversations with the authors.  "In service of the Duke" has always interested me.  I have never seen a copy, but everyone who has a copy says it's outstanding!  The only thing holding me back was the price although it sounds well worth the coin.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Ancelyn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Lux Lucet in Tenebris
    • Thoughts from Firethorn
« Reply #32 on: 2011-03-13, 11:45:39 »
Well Coach Pamela, may be a while before I can find a copy of that book.

This is what I get for not reading all the threads, interesting things happen and I miss them. :-)

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #33 on: 2011-03-13, 17:14:25 »
Sir Ancelyn, you're alive! :D
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #34 on: 2011-03-14, 11:13:57 »
Well Coach Pamela, may be a while before I can find a copy of that book.

This is what I get for not reading all the threads, interesting things happen and I miss them. :-)

As wonderful as the books that had been put out by CB are, I would not spend an extraordinary amount of time trying to procure a copy, especially since you can find some truly great goodies at Freelance Academy Press.  I would highly recommend any of their titles.

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #35 on: 2011-03-16, 21:51:30 »
This is the Thread that never Ends,
It goes on and on my Friends,
Ivanis Started Posting it just looking for a Book,
But now everyones complaing about what Brain Price took.

Ivanis Started Posting just looking for a Book,

Ivanis Started Posting just looking for a Book,

etc etc etc,

Sorry I think I channeled Lambchop for a min.

Rey
----------------------------------

Found at the top of page 23;D ;D :D
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #36 on: 2011-03-17, 13:56:39 »
Fantastic!

http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/books/guiltfree.html

Talbot is selling the books he received from Brian Price as payment to settle his long-standing debt. He's splitting the money evenly over himself, the authors, and the Wounded Warriors Project, and is selling the books at 25% off the cover price.

This is a FANTASTIC time to get "In Service of the Duke", since the $135 price-tag is probably the cheapest you'll ever get it for, and it's putting money back into Christian Tobler's hands, who so far has not received a penny in royalties for this title.

Anyway, just thought I'd announce this here.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-17, 14:00:35 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
« Reply #37 on: 2011-03-17, 14:24:05 »
Excellent News!

(edited to mention I'm talking about Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship: Sigmund Ringeck's Commentaries on Liechtenauer by Christian Tobler.  Sorry, I was too excited by the announcement!  ;) )

Folks, don't be fooled by Amazon's $33 offer that "usually ships within 1 - 3 weeks".  They are/were simply reselling Brian Price's stock of which he has none (or very little) now.

The lowest legitimate offer on Amazon for a new book is $50 plus shipping.  Compare that with Talbot's $45 plus shipping and the fact that both the authors AND the Wounded Warrior's Project will be getting a cut! :)
« Last Edit: 2011-03-17, 15:20:32 by Rodney »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #38 on: 2011-03-17, 14:43:55 »

I just ordered myself a copy of Greg Mele's book, since that was the only one of the three in this offer that I didn't have.

Christian Tobler's "Secrets" has some portions that are out of date now, and he'll probably revise if he manages to re-publish at a later time, but it's still a good book.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2011-03-17, 19:15:42 »
I got a copy of Spada 2 from a safe source a few days back and also just paid for a used copy of The Swordsmans Companion.

If I had the cash to I'd also get a copy of Greg Mele's book but, alas, no job yet. :(

-Ivan
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #40 on: 2011-04-07, 16:50:56 »
I am relieved that talbot is re-selling the books guilt free.

My take on this is Brian Price: "good teacher, bad business man" (This also has happened in the Martial Arts Community)

It's really a shame, but the good news is that Colin Hatcher one of Price's top students has recently been accepted as the new President of SSG.  It seems the school will be better of without Price.

Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #41 on: 2011-05-23, 18:24:48 »

Just a little update on this. The thread over on the AA has been locked, so no new updates will be forthcoming there.

The wikipedia page has been renamed, and someone attempted to delete the whole "controversies" section, but it's been re-added within the last few days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_R._Price
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2011-05-24, 08:06:53 »
As the instigator of all that I wonder what the final result will end up being.

-Ivan
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 2011-05-24, 18:02:10 »
As the instigator of all that I wonder what the final result will end up being.

-Ivan

Even if the final result is nothing, the intermediate result of saving potentially hundreds of people from supporting unchivalrous business practices, and from having property returned to it's rightful owners, and those authors producing more materials for us through a credible source - it's been a win-win for everyone except Brian Price thus far - and that includes people who would have never seen any benefit, such as the Wounded Warriors donations.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #44 on: 2011-05-25, 00:54:13 »
Even if the final result is nothing, the intermediate result of saving potentially hundreds of people from supporting unchivalrous business practices, and from having property returned to it's rightful owners, and those authors producing more materials for us through a credible source - it's been a win-win for everyone except Brian Price thus far - and that includes people who would have never seen any benefit, such as the Wounded Warriors donations.

I agree with you on that.  And as previously stated, Schola Saint George has a new Board of Directors headed by Colin Hatcher.  I am confident that the future of Schola Saint George is in good hands. 

In terms of Revival US, if Hatcher would to take over the company and get it back on it's feet in terms of paying due royalties and providing real customer satisfaction (the same goes for Chivalry Bookshelf), that would be the day I would raid both companies with massive orders of armour, books and equipment.  Until that day, all hands to other safe vendors.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.