"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Knightly chivalry in WoW  (Read 4924 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Knightly chivalry in WoW
« on: 2011-02-07, 14:27:33 »
Anyone here play World of Warcraft?

Two months ago they came out with the latest expansion, entitled Cataclysm, in which they revamped the level 10-60 content. I've been replaying those areas very gradually, and one of them I thought was only mildly changed, and then found a cute little story arc that was added. It has a Don Quixote sort of flavor.

I just thought I'd share because I thought it was hilarious. :)

You come across a knight who is out looking for adventure, and needs a squire. As he's recruiting you, he explains what knights are all about. He tells you that chivalry is the way of a knight, that it requires strength and courage in battle, and yet no matter how sharp your sword is, you must always be polite and courteous. This is the burden of a knight. When you say you're ready, he corrects you and says something like "No, you misunderstand. This is the burden of a KNIGHT. You are my squire. Your burden is to carry my things!"

So he decides it's time to hunt "dragons" (various dinosaurs and lizards, since there are no actual dragons in this region), and rescue "damsels". One damsel is a woman with a pet parrot. He's convinced that the parrot is a dangerous phoenix, and he kills it on the spot. The woman is distraught from this, which he assumes is her just being afraid from the dangerous creature. :) Another "damsel" is a male elf. He has you (the squire) recover "her purse" (a small crate) from the water. The elf says something like "But I'm not a.... uhm... ok, thanks?"

Then he wants to slay the big dragon (a very large T-Rex sort of creature). But first he wants to pray to what he thinks are some sort of angel. It turns out they're actually aggressive water elementals. As he prays to it, it attacks you, the player. He asks for protection and a blessing, and then finally ends with something like "...And please stop buffeting my squire with punches and kicks, for I see that you are smiting him."

He then gathers you up onto the back of his horse with him, and rides off towards the T-Rex. Upon getting there, it starts to give chase, and it's a lot bigger than he realized. So he turns around and starts running the other way, and has you start throwing rocks at it. Then, he starts handing you pieces of his armor to throw at it. By the time you've killed it, he's down to just his tabard. :)

At this point, he stops the horse and drops you off, and tells you that you are now a knight, and it's time for you to move on and continue your own adventures.  

I was laughing. :)
« Last Edit: 2011-02-07, 14:27:56 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Knightly chivalry in WoW
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-07, 14:31:16 »
That IS hilarious!  Almost makes me want to play...but no.  I'm fully content w/my console RPGs...but I have to admit, to me that's a memorable moment.  That sort of thing happens in Fable (III in particular) and Elder Scrolls (albeit w/out the humor at times).

Thanks for sharing...and of course, he's right about squires.  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-07, 21:51:00 »
hahaha

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-11, 22:36:52 »
That sounds MUCH more involved and varied than when I played WotLK. I haven't picked back up since then, but I have a pair of 80s (DK and Paladin) that I may go back to when time is more abundant and my task list is thinned out.

I did see a screenshot of a new quest called "How do magnets work?". I had a good laugh at that one. WOW hides lots of little easter eggs in there, and I find those things almost as interesting as the game.

On a semi-related side note - did you ever constantly click a unit over and over in Warcraft 3? They had some hilarious dialogue if you did.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-12, 14:27:17 »

Yeah, the Cataclysm content is hugely improved IMHO. The storylines flow better and are more engaging, with more mini-games, and consequences that are visible around you. I've been playing through the 1-60 revamped content, and twice so far there have been quest chains that resulted in leaving a big crater in the ground where there used to be buildings. And they persist. You will always see that crater from then on.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-14, 03:44:03 »
Haha. Reminds me of an orc woman who makes you address her as Sir Mazoga in Elder Scrolls 4.

Or Sir Robin's quest from Monty Python....
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-14, 11:09:57 »
"bravely ran away away, brave brave brave sir robin"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-15, 21:44:18 »
Haha. Reminds me of an orc woman who makes you address her as Sir Mazoga in Elder Scrolls 4.

Ahhh...good ole Sir Mazoga.  I did like her...if only because she was adamant about being a knight despite having little training in the way of.  She handled herself well enough...that is to say, I did.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€