"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: FS: Ice Flacon SS Chainmail Haubergeon  (Read 9950 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: FS: Ice Flacon SS Chainmail Haubergeon
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-11, 14:22:31 »

Not bad. $500 for stainless riveted mail is a pretty good deal.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-11, 14:23:02 »
you know you want it ;)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-11, 14:52:26 »
Of course...but do I need it?  Nah...already got one.  Anyone got a way for me to make that bright mail not so bright?  And Sir Wolf...'chainmail'?  For SHAME.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-11, 15:49:59 »
I'm going to save up for the titanium hauberks I think. :)

Ice Falcon's stainless isn't bright at all, actually. My mail chausses are his stainless ones:

« Last Edit: 2011-02-11, 15:50:43 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-11, 16:45:05 »
Look @ Sir Edward showin off his gams!  lol

Wonder if I soak it in vinegar I'd lose the brightness?  You've seen my hauberk Sir Edward, what do you think?  I like your chausses and would go that route if I were going to stay in the 13th C but I think I'm going to make it into the 14th after all.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-11, 17:21:22 »
hey i just cut and pasted the thread.

an what is your mail? is it stainless or is it galvanized? vinegar and galv  is good, but not near you. as the zink becomes airborne and can kill you if not vented properly. just do it outside and do not inhale. then wash mail and put in a baking powder to neutralize the acid. i here merc acid mix with water works better than vinegar.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-11, 19:31:07 »
What's merc acid?  I think mine is stainless...but am not ultimately sure.  For all I know, it may just be galvanized steel - that's done for rustproofing right?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-11, 22:11:56 »
Galvanized is to inhibit rust, but doesn't prevent it. Normally on roofing nails and such.

Galvanized steel is highly magnetic, and stainless steel, at least in the normal 300 series used for armor, is not, so that's an easy test if you have a magnet.

Also, be mildly careful with stainless steel - it CAN rust - it just takes a lot more for it to, well, rust, aka stain. Hence "stain less".

I'm not sure how to darken the finish, but my stainless steel IceFalcon voiders are dark, like Sir Edward's chausses - darker than my butter galvanized mail.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-12, 04:03:37 »
Seems like a fair price for something well made.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2011-02-12, 19:42:21 »
I'm going to have to look into that. I don't like having shiney mail so this looks right up my alley. I have some stainless mail on my brig, he used it to protect the upper part of the arms. I think I may try Sir Wolfs method of dulling it. I was pretty hesitant to try anything for fear of ruining the mail or having a bad chemical reaction. Now that I have gotten over my fear of ruining the mail and know to just do it outside, I think I may give it a try. Everything on the brig looks period except that mail so time to get that looking right too.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-14, 01:53:07 »
BEFORE going outside and stripping your mail (that sounds dirty), search for a thread on myArmoury that goes into detail and also highlights the dangers if you're not prepared.  I'll do some searching and post the link here soon, I just didn't want anyone getting hurt before then.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #12 on: 2011-02-14, 02:12:55 »
a conversation w a friend a year ago about it

Dillute a gallon of muriatic acid into 4 gallons of water in a bucket, making 5 gallons

Take one of those big boxes of baking soda and dump it into a second bucket full of water

Drop the maille into the bucket of acid water.  It will violently bubble and emit very noxious gasses which you NEED to avoid.  It will bubble violently and then settle down.  When it settles down, bring it out of the acid and drop it into the bucket of baking soda water.  This will explode all over the place.  It will settle down in a few seconds, then take the maille out and dry and oil.  That's it!

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 1:19 AM, <cdrussell1@comcast.net> wrote:

about how long should i leave it in each bucket? just till it stops bubbling? when is it ok for me to handle the mail with my hands? after the water/soda bucket? do i need to wash it in water after this step or just spray with WD40? sorry for the questions. just nervous i guess. do i need to stir the mail at any point in the buckets or just leave it alone
After the baking soda the acid should be totally neutralized.  At that point it's safe to touch.  You shouldn't need to wash it with water after the neutralization, just dry it off and spray her down.  But do it quick because the steel is absolutely bare and will flash rust.

It should bubble for a couple minutes violently, and then die down but still bubble a little (it's eating the steel at this point).  And yeah, stir it once or twice while it's in the acid bath.  And stir once when you drop it in the baking soda bath. 

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2011-02-14, 02:59:56 »
a conversation w a friend a year ago about it

Just to clarify, that's for removing the zinc from the galvanized steel, right?
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #14 on: 2011-02-14, 11:08:40 »
yes, heehe sorry