"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: The Nine Worthies  (Read 7442 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
The Nine Worthies
« on: 2011-02-17, 17:51:05 »

This is cool, I hadn't heard about it before. Apparently there was a list of "nine worthies" that were considered to be a list of exemplars of chivalry. It had three examples from three different eras (nine total).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Worthies

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/worthies.htm

They appeared in a variety of artwork, including tapestries, sculptures, etc. Here's the list:

• Hector
  • Alexander the Great
  • Julius Caesar
  • Joshua
  • David
  • Judas Maccabeus
  • King Arthur
  • Charlemagne
  • Godfrey of Bouillon

This was talked about a little bit in the Chivalry Today podcast #14. He talked a little about how most of these characters were conquerors, but ones who showed mercy and built and improved where they conquered, rather than burning things to the ground. Or, in some cases, a specific trait was held in esteem despite how historically some of their activities might be offensive to modern sensitivities.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share since I had somehow neglected to read about this before.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Re: The Nine Worthies
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-20, 19:21:14 »
Ceasar and Alexander as examples of chivalry?  If that's the case, most CEOs could make the list ;)
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-23, 21:40:43 »
I think that's what Sir Edward meant, as far as how their activities may be vilified by modern sensibilities but for his time, he was visionary.  Same with Caesar.  I don't necessarily agree, mind you- I see them for their various and great accomplishments as well as the means by which they made them...Godfrey of Bouillon is particularly well chosen - at least it seems so to me as he was one of the leaders of the First Crusade and subsequently the first ruler of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.  They even have his sword on display at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-27, 21:34:35 »
Have y'all checked out the BadAss Of The Week?

Not all listed would qualify under the auspices of the likes of the Nine Worthies but many would.

Check it out here: http://badassoftheweek.com/list.html
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-27, 22:37:56 »
I'd say that about sums it up! :)
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-28, 01:10:29 »
Caesar was nothing but a murderer and oppressor of the Celtic people. He shouldn't be on the list.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-28, 07:40:43 »
What about Titus Pullo or Lucius Vorbenus?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-28, 18:54:41 »
Caesar was nothing but a murderer and oppressor of the Celtic people. He shouldn't be on the list.

It is all about perspective...to his people he was a benevolent tyrant and savior of Rome but even that did not last as his former comrades slew him out of jealousy and political intrigue.  

LOL @ rautskegg - both of them have my vote, especially Vorenus.  He had the sack to turn down Cleopatra...that's one bad ass dude that can do that!

On another note, I just love the writing style of the guy on badassoftheweek.com - it is hilarious!  Here's a sample regarding Princess (Zhao) Pingyang of China:

"The Army of the Lady soon became so formidable that the Sui sent the shattered remnants of their pathetic forces after Zhao, but she was such a battle-harded ass-smasher at this time that she basically throat-stomped the entire Sui army into meat slurry without even taking her sandals off. Soon after crushing the Sui forces, she linked up with her father's equally-badass army (they had been blitzing in from the frontier), and together the two forces led the final assault on the Imperial palace at Chang'an (in modern day Xi'an). Zhao commanded a wing of the army in the assault, and together the father-and-daughter face-smashing duo drove the Sui from Chang'an. General Li seized the throne, declaring himself Emperor Gaozu, the first ruler of the Tang Dynasty. Emperor Doucheface fled the town before being captured, but one of the guy's chief advisors finally got sick of his retarded bullshit and mercifully choked the guy out until he died from it."

There's another section where he talks about her stomping scrotes across China- this guy's got tears comin out of MY eyes!

« Last Edit: 2011-02-28, 21:08:44 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-14, 20:14:57 »
Well, the Pagan worthies, I haven't read much information to form a premise but I will look into it.

As you can tell, there is Joshua as the first Biblical Worthy, much to my pleasure I am happy that I am named after the Biblical Joshua, so I do have the pleasure of being inspired to Chivalry from that viewpoint and being named after a famous warrior.

Fort those that don't know, the Biblical Joshua was a famous Jewish General who conquered Canaan and is famous for the victories and for being a charismatic leader who had Faith in God and lead courageously in battle.

The other Worthies I know them and won't need to mention them.  They are there and that's that.  But i really like this discussion! ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.