"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: New trailer  (Read 4814 times)

Sir Andrew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Member
New trailer
« on: 2011-01-21, 15:18:23 »
Just saw the teaser trailer for the movie "The Eagle"...looks like it might be pretty good....

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: New trailer
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-21, 16:40:56 »
You know, I want to see it...but I don't have high hopes for it.  Channing Tatum is not what I'd call an electrifying actor, but playing a stoic Roman would be right up his alley.  Should be fun...wonder at how brutal it will be against the likes of the HBO show Rome and that latest flick Centurion (which was so brutal, it was ugly).
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-22, 04:34:40 »
i saw the trailer but ugg leather armour kills me.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-25, 15:12:58 »
They (the Romans) never wore leather armor, Sir Wolf?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-25, 16:17:27 »
nope. it is a historical inaccuracy in almost every culture. now there has been some rawhide lamallar but no "leather loricas" as seen in the movies. it makes me sick hheheeh thin steel or even aluminum is cheaper than leather, why do they insist on wearing this crap?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-25, 21:01:23 »
Steel or aluminum are cheaper NOW because they can be mass produced but back then?  I dunno...I defer to those like yourself who have done their homework.  Leather's also easier to make and wear...at least easier to wear.  lol

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-25, 23:05:24 »
leather wasnt produced like it is now. and getting it that thick would be another thing. iron sheets from the romans was an easy thing to do.

Sir Andrew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-26, 01:25:16 »
Correct you are Sir Wolf. I've wondered also about the "jumping on the leather lorica bandwagon"
Maybe Hollywood does it trying to make the actors more comfortable? Who knows? Thought it would be another "kill a Saturday" movie like "Season...." If I go to a movie and start critiquing it, it's not very enjoyable........

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-26, 01:44:37 »
heheh thing is, they used metal or metal looking plastic in Centurion and i was fine with it. why why why leather? grrr heheheh

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-26, 18:18:10 »
Probably for comfort reasons...and who knows, maybe they got a deal on those...or better yet, recycled them from some other sword and sandal pic.  Either way, when I watch movies like this, it is always important to me that the main lead look 'cool'...but I think I would like to see a movie done that was done w/historicity in mind just to see what they come up with, and then have historians critique them or even better, have them on as consultants.