"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Just joined the "14th Century Mafia", apparently I'm quite sick...  (Read 20511 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
For those who didn't see the pics on Facebook, this URL should work:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2101915&id=1132478990&l=a13dea6102

Unfortunately, no "wearing" pics yet - I need to exchange my IceFalcon gambeson for one a bit larger (sigh) and then add points to it. I'm hoping to be done by the first weekend in Feb, if all goes well.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
y longer?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Latest picture with the armor on the stand for now. Vambraces from the gothic harness went out to Allan at MercTailor today so I can get some fully enclosed ones, instead of the MRL "half" vambraces. Sorry, I forgot to rotate it before uploading - do the owl-neck thing and it looks normal. :)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/gothicand14th.jpg

y longer?

Larger, unfortunately, not longer. Lack of, uh, circumference in the jacket, to properly contain my mid-torso region. AKA, I was too fat for it - seems I ordered based on my waist size. :o

A couple boxes came in the last few days, so it's almost time to start pointing and tweaking. Most of this will be used for the 14th C kit as well as the MRL Gothic kit.

Rivited mail pliers, pointing kits, and leather reinforcement tabs from Historic Enterprises (http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/historicenterprises.jpg).

Awl, eyelet setting pliers, and small black eyelets from Brettuns Village (http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t8/jba3/medieval/brettunsvillage.jpg).

Just need to figure out what to lace the mail to the arming coat/gambeson with, and I should be set. Loose rivited rings are still on backorder from Icefalcon, but I bought 2 boxes, which I'm hoping is enough to make the voiders into full-wrap sleeves, and to also make a skirt. The voiders wrap around my entire wrist with some leftovers, at their current size. Voiders and skirt are for the gothic set - the 14th C set has a 3/4 sleeve shirt of it's own, which is, unfortunately, butted mail - but probably will be replaced in due time.

To finish off the kits, I have the MRL drawstring pants in black (http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-356-drawstring-pants.aspx) and the MRL Low Boots Without Fringe in black (http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-400-low-boots-without-fringe.aspx). I may attempt to make some sabatons myself after the display cases and other projects are done ... hopefully before renn-fest season starts.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Sir James is rather industrious...I'm a hibernating bear in comparison.  LOL
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
The Historic Enterprises rivited mail pliers don't seem to play well with the IceFalcon 9mm stainless rivited rings - I ordered a pair from IceFalcon, and he said they were made specifically for the 9mm rings. The HE pliers work, but the holes are the wrong depth for the rivits I have, and it has 3 hole sets, so adding another one isn't reasonable. I was hoping to have the skirt and arm voiders knocked out a while back, but extended work hours and ~3 months delivery time for the rivited rings has put a substantial damper on it.

I placed an order with Allen at Mercenary's Tailor for a simple 14th cent style breast/back (no faulds or tassets) so that I can wear this harness with either the full hauberk or just the arming coat with arm/skirt voiders. The greaves also didn't close, as I thought they might not, so I ordered a set from Allen as well, at least I can get into kit reasonably soon, then I will work on dishing the existing ones when I have some downtime.

ArmorAndCastings quit taking orders, so I've been hunting for a helmet and gauntlets. I'm leaning towards the GDFB brass trimmed 14th Cent gauntlets from TherionArms, and the GDFB brass trimmed helm too - though Sir Edward recently got one and I don't want to be toooo much of a copycat. ;) I have an arming cap and padded coif to go along with it.

Sabatons are going to be interesting; I received a quote from Halberds@AA, but $485 + shipping nearly floored me. He does FANTASTIC work, but that's a bit past my price range right now.

To keep me happy while I wait, I ordered a 2' x 3' gonfalon with my coat of arms. I'll post pics when it gets here. :D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Where'd your order the gonfalon from, if you don't mind me asking?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
and the GDFB brass trimmed helm too - though Sir Edward recently got one and I don't want to be toooo much of a copycat. ;)

You mean the Sugarloaf I just got? The jury's still out on that one. It's not very roomy, as my nose presses against the front without adding the coif and arming cap. I need to play around with it a bit, but if it's not as comfy, I may not proceed with my plans on it. We'll see. :) Just haven't had the time to sit down and mess with it yet.

I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do with it. Technically I'm still working on my mid-14th kit, and could probably use the helm with that.

The open-face bascinet w/ aventail I have works, but has problems sharing my head with my glasses. I probably won't use it until I do something about my eyes.... even if that something is just to use disposable contacts while at faire (which won't be a 100% correction since they won't correct my astigmatism).

For my main c.1300 kit, I'll probably still stick with my current great helm.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. Just want to say--- use what you want. Don't let me get in the way. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Where'd your order the gonfalon from, if you don't mind me asking?

Cillene mac Conghalaigh, of the ArmourArchive. Just found out she has "in progress" pics of her projects, mine is just in the mockup stage now:

http://www.dirkandarrow.com/10.html

and the GDFB brass trimmed helm too - though Sir Edward recently got one and I don't want to be toooo much of a copycat. ;)

You mean the Sugarloaf I just got? The jury's still out on that one. It's not very roomy, as my nose presses against the front without adding the coif and arming cap. I need to play around with it a bit, but if it's not as comfy, I may not proceed with my plans on it. We'll see. :) Just haven't had the time to sit down and mess with it yet.

I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do with it. Technically I'm still working on my mid-14th kit, and could probably use the helm with that.

The open-face bascinet w/ aventail I have works, but has problems sharing my head with my glasses. I probably won't use it until I do something about my eyes.... even if that something is just to use disposable contacts while at faire (which won't be a 100% correction since they won't correct my astigmatism).

For my main c.1300 kit, I'll probably still stick with my current great helm.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. Just want to say--- use what you want. Don't let me get in the way. :)

Yep, the one posted on FB. For a solution, I vote for laser eye surgery. I've always wanted laser eyes, like Cyclops of the X-Men. That'd be pretty sweet. :D

If you don't mind, I'd like to try the sugarloaf on and see how the fitment is for me. That would definitely help sway me one way or the other, especially since all I see is the circumference, and that's not much help in guessing fit.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Cillene mac Conghalaigh, of the ArmourArchive. Just found out she has "in progress" pics of her projects, mine is just in the mockup stage now:

http://www.dirkandarrow.com/10.html

Excellent choice. I had them do my banner as well, and it turned out great!

Yep, the one posted on FB. For a solution, I vote for laser eye surgery. I've always wanted laser eyes, like Cyclops of the X-Men. That'd be pretty sweet. :D

See attached photo. :)

If you don't mind, I'd like to try the sugarloaf on and see how the fitment is for me. That would definitely help sway me one way or the other, especially since all I see is the circumference, and that's not much help in guessing fit.

Yep, absolutely. Heh, we probably pass each other during the daily commute each day. We can probably meet up somewhere.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Where's your daily commute take you from and to, Sir Edward?  They should've fixed that young man's eye before givin him the Cyclopean treatment.  Now he just looks like a super dork.  lol

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

I live in Sterling and work in Charles Town WV. Sir James is the other way around, so we trade places during the day. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Excellent choice. I had them do my banner as well, and it turned out great!

Ah, I didn't know that. I clicked around through their site and saw yours there. Now I'm even MORE excited! And the pencil sketch of mine is done already; I just paid 1/2 this past weekend. It's a shame she doesn't do surcoats. :(

See attached photo. :)

That's exactly the picture I had in mind when I said that, but I went with the X-Men reference since more people would know what I'm talking about and I couldn't remember where I saw that pic.

Yep, absolutely. Heh, we probably pass each other during the daily commute each day. We can probably meet up somewhere.

Sounds good to me, I'll send an email and see what's easiest for you. Thanks!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I need to nail down which CoA I want to run with before I have this made.  Sir Edward, you made the 'holder' for yours?

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
The banner comes with a wooden bar and rope, so all I had to do was put a nail in the wall and put it up:

We originally discussed these banners in this thread:  http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,430.0.html
« Last Edit: 2011-04-06, 17:21:59 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Thanks for the reminder...I really like it.  It'd go perfectly between the Angevin and Templar flags I have up in my chambers already.  Not yours, of course.  lol