"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: think there worth it?  (Read 3400 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Re: think there worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-15, 04:31:49 »
Sir Wolf, I don't know what to make of these.  I can usually identify a manufacturer in short order, but these are proving difficult.  You linked to a retailer and there seems to be 3 to 4 other web retailers selling the same product for $55 to $60.  They all carry the same armour and while some of it is very ugly, the sabatons look OK.  These may be manufactured in Mexico??

Proper fit is important with sabatons or your feet will hate you.  If you're handy and can make adjustments on your own I'd say go for it.

(edit)

You might want to give Allan at Merc Tailor a call to see if he can whip up a pair.  He might be more expensive, but they would be custom fit and you would be supporting a local craftsman (and a hell of a nice guy).
« Last Edit: 2011-01-15, 05:31:47 by Rodney »
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-15, 16:06:58 »
ya i just posted them cause the price looked ok. I patterned out a pair a long time ago but never made a set.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-15, 16:12:43 »
Agreed on checking with Allan at MercTailor. I'm trying to convince him to make a pattern for a set; I need 3 sets myself, so it might be worth his time to work on some if we have a bigger order for him.

At $60 ($70 shipped), it's not a bad deal at all. But as Rodney said, if they don't fit right, if they don't articulate right, they'll end up a shelf ornament, and then you'll be paying Allan (or someone else) to make a properly sized, properly articulated set for you. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-17, 04:01:08 »

I'm tempted to grab them just for the heck of it. But you're right. If they don't work, then it'll be a waste.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-19, 16:15:10 »
If anyone's learned about 'waste' with regard to armor purchases, it is the Black Paladin.  I felt bad about letting those pieces back out onto the marketplace but there IS a market for those sorts of wares...they're big sellers too.  I'm in agreement with the others...as it was never in my plans to go full-armored, sabatons and gauntlets were never on my list of pieces to acquire but if I were going to, I'd talk to Allan first.  He's easy, no-nonsense and above all GOOD at what he does.  Very important, in my book.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€