"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Ed's other kit, 15th century  (Read 42242 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Ed's other kit
« Reply #30 on: 2008-10-21, 22:28:22 »

I'd like to keep as much of the fluting as possible, but I'm not opposed to sacrificing some to make it fit better. I'd love to add the appropriate amount of fauld length as well. Wolf and I added one front lame and the tassets after that picture, but there's a lot of room to add more especially if we raise the bottom edge.

Ironically, even though I've gained weight since I bought it, I still have some breathing room. Initially it was extremely spacious front-to-back, and pretty snug side-to-side. It squeezes at the pelvis, but nowhere else. So we have some room to play with it.

Allen, if you were to re-work it a bit, what sort of price-range and time estimate are we looking at? (just a ballpark, since there's no rush and I realize you haven't looked at it up close).

If this is salvageable, I'm up for it. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #31 on: 2008-11-13, 14:19:13 »
Ed i'd really have to get my hands on it to give you an idea of how long and how much ( its the little details that come to light once its in you hands that begin to to throw wrenches in things). If you don't like the quote or the time fram, we send it back to you.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #32 on: 2008-11-13, 18:38:03 »

OK, that sounds fine. Once you do get it up close, you'll have to let me know what you think is the best course of action to get it to fit better. I suspect in addition to what we discussed, the shoulder-strap regions could probably also use some slight re-shaping. I'm a pretty average-sized person (recent weight gain aside), so it's not like I have a strange body shape to work with. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #33 on: 2008-11-13, 18:57:58 »
I'll hit you up for some measurements. What we usually do is with a certain set of measurments ( depending on the piece of armour in question) we can match some one in the shoope with the body part in question and work off them.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #34 on: 2008-11-13, 22:08:48 »

That sounds great. Shall I email you off-board and go from there?
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #35 on: 2008-11-14, 19:59:35 »
Bill shoot me an email.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2008-11-14, 21:13:24 »
Bill shoot me an email.

Did you mean Ed? :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #37 on: 2008-11-14, 21:28:03 »

I assume that's what he meant. :)

I'll shoot you an email, Allan.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #39 on: 2009-06-21, 14:41:23 »

You are trying to spend my money, I see that. :)

Heh, well now I have some new dilemmas to work out. The new GDFB legs are very tall in the cuisses, so I have to reposition the points on my arming doublet. Until then, I'll probably continue to use the old legs. The demi-greaves of both are shaped very differently, and whatever I do for greaves will have to fit underneath one or both. Then, I also need to decide if I want them to fit over my boots, or fit closer to the leg and use more period footwear, and I have to work that out first I suppose. I really wish I could try various greaves on before purchasing a set.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #40 on: 2009-06-21, 21:22:28 »
well see what armour gnome can do for you at the MDRF hehehe. maybe he can bring some "Styles" ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #41 on: 2009-07-24, 20:34:45 »
I'll hit you up for some measurements. What we usually do is with a certain set of measurments ( depending on the piece of armour in question) we can match some one in the shoope with the body part in question and work off them.

Now that I've finally handed it off to you, let me know if you still need any measurements, etc. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #42 on: 2009-07-25, 20:02:04 »
Actually being able to see you in person pretty much took care of what I needed to know so we're all set. It will work fine for you when I get done with it. I may " crisp up " the flutes a bit after brining the waist line up to spiff it up a little bit.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #43 on: 2009-07-25, 22:41:54 »

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait to try it out. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #44 on: 2009-08-01, 13:21:36 »
Ed, this is going pretty much as we discussed. I've brought the plackard and breast plate back to thier original attachment location but the only hard point is at the center on a slot rivet, the sides are on leather compression articulation to allow the sides so compression motion. Removing about an inch on the bottom of the plackard, flaring the new flange farther out that the original ( this will allow the first fauld lame to collaps far more than it now does which is part of the length issue ), it should collapse in the same manner as the second lame you and Chuck added on does. I will be crisping up the flutes and may with your permission add a central ridge to each tasset for strength and to add a bit more flare. I'll need to remove a like amount of material from the bottom of the back plate to keep them even. Spread the curvature a bit so its not so snug and this should work alot better for you. I'll be blind riveting the old attachment holes on both the plackard and top part of the breast plate to maintain esthetic and i'm thinking dress up some of the " points " on the plackard with a little file work and edge beveling.