"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Kid suspended for bringing a horse and wearing armor to school.  (Read 6072 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Kid suspended for bringing a horse and wearing armor to school for "medieval day".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1325905/School-suspends-teenager-Dan-Depaolis-arriving-horse-medieval-knight.html

Note that it's not the sword that they compared to bringing a loaded firearm to school. It's the horse.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
It is a shame that school administrators are so gun-shy now that they take exception to EVERYTHING.  I mean really, it was Medieval Day for the love of God!  I posted a comment on mail online's board for that article...this is ludicrous to me.  Reminds me of the two other instances, one where a kid was suspended for bringing mouthwash to school one day (he rushed out w/out brushing it seems, what kid hasn't done that) and another who got suspended because he brought a bday cake to school and his mom included a cake knife which the teacher thought was a weapon and sent the boy to the principal's office.  That second one, I know the Mom let them HAVE IT.  As would I.

I have very little faith in the futures of kids who are subject to that sort of...crap, I'll call it.
« Last Edit: 2010-11-05, 16:38:42 by Paladin »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
ya, i read that. ug stupid. i mean i guess i see the school's side being you can't 100% control a horse. and a kick to a  kids head or a stomped foot could be bad. but then again why do they let people drive on school grounds? do you know how many children have been hit/killed by people driving on the school roads to drop/pick up children? its all comes down to that no nonsense clause. heck my buddy's pre-schooler just got sent today to the principles office cause he and another student were talking mean to each other and pointing children's scissors at each other. ehhe wonder what they're gonna do, guess I'll find out in an hour at camp set up

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Were those lil boys about to engage in a duel with those scissors?  I know the ones you mean, rounded edges, rubber covered handles, right?

Even that isn't akin to what this kid did...and you're right, these kids behind the wheel of a car are MUCH more dangerous...and lets not talk about buses hitting pedestrians, been a rash of those occuring in the DC area of late.

I still think they went overboard and they probably will with your friend's kid too.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
You have GOT to be kidding?!

That is, quite possibly, the dumbest thing I have ever seen now. It's Medieval Week. The SQUIRE got suspended too, and COMMUNITY SERVICE? How is a horse even, remotely, like bringing a gun? I guess all the cool gangsters are going to start trailering their guns to school for "shoot-em-up" week.

If I worked at that school, I wouldn't comment on it either. They've already shown their stupidity, and as the old saying goes, "You should keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid, not open it and remove all doubt".

I don't often get worked up over things, but we need to find some contact info for that school and give them some feedback.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
REALLY? That is exactly the sort of thing I would have done in school, had I had the horse and armor. I could see if he had a sword or other weapon, but a horse with someone walking beside it and handling it? Not even in the same universe as a gun. The administrators at this school are idiots and should be fired. These are not the kind of people I want molding and shaping the young minds of future generations.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I definitely think they went overboard and I agree with Sir James, maybe they could use some constructive feedback from a knightly order.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
School contact info, for those interested:

775 Bay Road
Hamilton, MA 01982

Phone (978) 468-0400
Fax (978) 468-0241

The vice principal, the one who compared the horse to a gun, is Philip Conrad. His extension is 4400 if you call the main line.

(All of this info was publicly posted on their site, so hopefully posting it here does not violate anything. If it does, please remove it at your discretion.)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Before anyone calls - perhaps we should craft a suitable response.  It pays to be coherent and easily understood so that the point is made and taken w/a minimum of fuss, I think.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Good point. I'd hate for people to start calling and just leaving "you suck" messages (to put it politely).
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
That's what I'd envisioned at that moment, so I thought maybe we could craft a blurb to use...something short & sweet and to the point.  Something like this:

Dear Vice Principal,

It has come to my attention that you suspended a student for participation in activities that were proscribed and sanctioned by the school's administration (and yourself); these activities were in the spirit of the medieval era, for which all students were encouraged to engage in- what is the message we should take back with us?  That said participation should fall within certain guidelines?  That would certainly be acceptable, were those guidelines clearly established previously.  It does not seem to be the case- and the penalty, which was suspension and community service, IS a good deal more harsh than it should be, seeing as the student did NOT bring a weapon of any kind, nor was his horse unattended- he rode, and his friend acting as squire, had the bridle secured, which any horseman knows, is the best way to restrain a horse from bolting.  I think, in the future, for this and any other scholastic events, clear and concise guidelines should be sent to the homes of the students so that they understand what is and what isn't allowed.  Should they break with those guidelines, the consequences that follow won't seem as overly punitive or paranoid- something usually associated with school administrations nationwide of late.

Sincerely,

It needs tweaking.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Well said, Paladin.