"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Knights of Holography  (Read 4368 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Knights of Holography
« on: 2010-11-03, 20:47:36 »

http://worldsworsttourist.com/holoknights.htm

Interesting. An organization of holography researchers, but they treat it as an order of knighthood. Who'd have thought?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Knights of Holography
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-04, 16:13:40 »
Even in this day of cynicism and paranoia, the idea of knighthood makes people aspire to it- when I went to vote last Tuesday, at a local elementary school, they had a knighthood style charter (even had the word knight in it) for their 3rd graders...a simple set of rules that they must follow. 

Naturally, I was interested enough to read it through but it kinda touched me...even these young ones got some exposure to something knightly.  To me, that is most worthwhile.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-04, 17:38:08 »

Yeah, that really is awesome. I've come across a few things like that in random googling, where they've done knighthood-related things at schools. Here's an example, where they did accolades for middle-schoolers:

http://kevinbryant.com/2010/03/13/knighting-ceremony-at-powdersville-middle-school/
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-04, 19:54:43 »
Oh yes, that's what I'm talkin about!  What better way to introduce kids to history than through a program like that?  Get them interested when they're young...

I don't know about you, but a knight was the coolest thing in the world to me when I was young...funny, still is.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-04, 20:16:43 »

As a kid I was always more excited about wizards than knights, but I found all of it interesting. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-04, 21:17:55 »
Ok, when I first read the Hobbit, I admit that Gandalf was the most dynamic character, if only because he was also the most intimidating...however, I got to read the Trilogy, then got introduced to Bulfinch and his treatises on Charlemagne and the Peers of the Realm, not to mention Arthur and his Knights of the Table Round quickly changed my mind for me.

Here it is, nearly 30 25 years after I'd read those books and I'm still trying to live it...some would say that's pretty damn sorry, but I don't see it that way.  Got ahead of myself there.  lol
« Last Edit: 2010-11-05, 14:19:54 by Paladin »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-05, 01:49:58 »
dude Paladin, you have to see young Sir Edward pictures to truely understand ;) hehehhee

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-05, 14:20:55 »
Hey man, I doubt I'd be surprised- I got my start at age 9 when my Mom first handed me LOTR, then for my 10th got me Bulfinch's complete works.  Granted, I didn't do any costuming (I was like the ONLY kid I knew who was into knights and such)...so if you have pics we'd ALL like to see'm, Sir Wolf.

;)