Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Largesse

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: The Red Knight on 2010-10-13, 02:24:53 ---
I agree, and it is unfortunate that we see this attitude not just with "strangers" but within our own families.  Think of the spouses and parents who are more than happy to spend their money on their families, but never their time.  Largesse at home would go a long way to curing the world's ills.

EDIT: Spelling :-[

--- End quote ---

Excellent and very valid point Good Sir! As the old adage goes..."charity begins at home!"  ;)

@ Paladin:
No worries. I only referred to Christianity as a member of the faith. I am not qualified to offer any valid opinions about any of the other non-Christian based faiths.  :-\

Sir Wolf:
wow what a great read. I haven't had the mind set to ponder yet for my answers

Sir Edward:

Excellent points. Of course, I think we also need to consider though, how far does generosity/largesse go? Obviously no one is suggesting you give everything away and live on the streets. I would suggest that keeping your affairs in order, paying your debts, and seeing to your family's needs takes precedence. The latter is what made me consider this question. :)

Going back for a moment to the historical notion of Largesse as primarily being a grant of gifts to your superiors, or lord, I wonder if this initially evolved out of a desire amongst the knights to curry favor with their lords. You could almost see this becoming a form of competition... The lord will like me best if I bring him the best gifts and spoils of war. I could see how once this would become established, that it would thereafter be expected and encouraged.

Today, this would probably be seen as boot-licking. But it might still be encouraged. :)

Sir William:
Boot licking is definitely still encouraged in some circles of power...just look at the lobbyists on the Hill, that's their FULL TIME JOB.

As a Fed, we're warned off of such...in fact, there are stringent guidelines w/regard to gift-giving among colleagues as well as for superiors (what an employee can give (based on costs) to a superior and vice versa).  I mean, its freakin POLICY if you can believe it.

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2010-10-13, 20:09:47 ---Going back for a moment to the historical notion of Largesse as primarily being a grant of gifts to your superiors, or lord, I wonder if this initially evolved out of a desire amongst the knights to curry favor with their lords. You could almost see this becoming a form of competition... The lord will like me best if I bring him the best gifts and spoils of war. I could see how once this would become established, that it would thereafter be expected and encouraged.
--- End quote ---

If a knight gained spoils of war through his prowess, does not a lavish gift to a lord say (to everyone, not just the lord), "Look at what I can do!  I'm a big deal!"  At that pont, as knights try to outgift each other, is really about currying favor with the lord, or about being better than the other guy?  Granted, the one with the best gifts was probably granted favor, but would a lord give more and more power, wealth, and responsibility to someone who couldn't back it up? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version