"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Now THIS just isn't fair!  (Read 21689 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Now THIS just isn't fair!
« Reply #30 on: 2010-09-28, 20:04:01 »
Yeah that's why I like going to shops in various faires and seeing what they sell, then looking online for it. Usually they sell things are inflated prices than what you can get them online for. I would like to try armor on before buying it though...

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2010-09-29, 18:31:54 »
Yea, that'd be ultra smooth to be able to do that.  Its funny, when I first started goin to the Ren Faire, my eyes were wide open like a kid in a candy store when I'd visit the sword and armor vendors...but now that I know better, it almost hurts my eyes to see some of their wares.  That's just evidence of my research coloring my outlook; there really is something for everyone though, isn't there?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #32 on: 2010-09-29, 19:01:16 »

That's the problem I've developed. I used to insist on only buying things in person so I could handle them first. As my tastes evolved, I'm at a point where there's very little I can handle up-front, unless I know someone who has bought it already. The local renfaires don't have Albions, or much in the way of armor, etc.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2010-09-29, 19:56:30 »
No and what they do offer is usually grossly marked up.  Seen some Starfires goin for $400...I'm like really?  Serious?  You'd do just as well with a crowbar, and it'd last longer.  Personal bias?  Maybe.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #34 on: 2010-09-29, 20:11:29 »

Yup, that's been pretty much my view of Starfires as well. Hilted crowbars. Of course, I still have mine from back in the days when I thought they were cool, and thought they were about all you could get in the way of blunted trainer swords. Boy was I wrong on all counts.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2010-09-29, 20:29:27 »
Weren't we all?  I used to think that wallhangers were perfectly acceptable swords...imagine my surprise when my first ever, on the second strike, turned into a helicopter of death?  Ha!  Good times.  Hey, what'd I expect for $12, right?  LOL

Took me some time to figure out that you get what you pay for...usually.  Came across a mean little cutter, an actual Masahiro Bamboo (first run, not to be confused with the Musashi Bamboo, an inferior product) for $75 shipped that I've come to realize is a real gem...so I kept it.  Not much of a katana guy, but I had to have one so there you have it.

That's about the ONLY time I can recall where I got something good for cheap; that's not usually the case.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #36 on: 2010-09-30, 13:41:39 »
hahaha oooooooooooo helicopter of death hehehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2010-09-30, 14:07:40 »
Yea, I didn't know that was what it was called at that time, for me it was a WTF moment.  lol

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: 2010-10-01, 19:55:11 »

Yup, that's been pretty much my view of Starfires as well. Hilted crowbars. Of course, I still have mine from back in the days when I thought they were cool, and thought they were about all you could get in the way of blunted trainer swords. Boy was I wrong on all counts.

To be fair, though, the Fiat Lux uses them because of their warranty. We've broken swords on more than one occasion, and getting a no-questions-asked replacement is rather nice. Certainly doesn't handle as well as an Albion, but it does have its uses.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #39 on: 2010-10-01, 20:09:23 »
oh i'm would never argue against them. i owned one and they are great for what they are needed to be. :)  i just prefer different ones now (Paul Binns, ARmour Class etc)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #40 on: 2010-10-01, 20:15:54 »

That's true, it's hard to beat the warranty on the Starfires! I'm not sure where their price-point is these days. I know the one I have wasn't very costly when I got it. Not everyone can afford Albion or A&A trainers. Thankfully there are other cost-effective options becoming available as late, from CAS Hanwei for instance, and the new line of Tinker swords (which I haven't had a chance to handle yet).

The Hanwei "practical" line is very good for the price, but I don't know about the long-term durability. My "hand and a half" works great as a single-hand trainer, but it seems that the leather wrap on the grips come apart very easily. So far the blade is holding up well though.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: 2010-10-01, 20:25:45 »
I'll have to look into some of those. Any particular suggestions? Preferably with a nice balance? The Starfires are quite blade-heavy.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #42 on: 2010-10-01, 20:37:08 »
That's the thing that really makes me not like the starfires. Their blade presence is like a crowbar. Heh, I forgot you guys use them. :)

Well, of course I love the A&A and Albion pieces, so I recommend those highly.

The CAS-Hanwei practical single-hand and practical hand-and-a-half are very serviceable for being so cheap. They do have thinner edges, so you don't want to hit with full force unless armored, but they're pretty safe even with just a gambeson (though as with any steel trainer, a mask and gauntlets are still necessary). Both of these swords work well as single-hand trainers. In fact, the hand-and-a-half has a lighter feel in this regard, and I prefer mine for that use.  These can be had in the < $150 range.

A&A (armor.com) has a "Scholar's Sword" that is quite good, but it certainly costs more, at about $360.

Longswords...

I don't have one of the CAS-Hanwei "Federschwert" swords, but I've gotten to handle them a bit. For the MSRP (about $130), they do pretty well. The blades are perhaps a bit too flexible, as they can be a little whippy. But they're light and quick, and cheap! Just don't buy them from the renfaire, since they might be considerably more expensive. I saw one for over $400 at the MD faire. Ridiculous. If you're going to pay that much, go get an Albion.

As for Albion, the Meyer is a great trainer. My only complaint is that the guard is wide enough to actually get in your way occasionally, but this usually isn't a problem. The balance is fantastic, the weight is just right. It flexes well and yet is not whippy. It's awesome. They also have one called the Liechtenauer, but to me it's more of a stage sword than a sparring sword. Others may disagree with me on that. The reason I feel that way is that it has a more visibly realistic blade shape, but also very thin edges that can hurt when struck through a gambeson.

A&A's Fechterspiel is excellent as well. I had one before I got the Meyer from Albion. I love them both, but the Meyer is a little nicer in my opinion.

These Albions and Fechterspiels are all in the mid to upper $400's.

I haven't had a chance to handle the Tinker swords, but they're another option, I think somewhere in the middle in terms of cost.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-01, 21:57:11 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #43 on: 2010-10-01, 21:03:56 »
My first sword handled like crap, All it is to me is really a decorative piece. Was way too blade heavy and I couldn't swing it much. Looks nice when hung on the wall though.

The Practical Norman I bought is the best sword I own currently, handles pretty well, looks rather plain and grip isn't too bad. I've slammed my Norman onto a steel bin and it didn't chip at all so that's a good blunt trainer right there.

I handled some Starfires at the NY renaissance faire and I must say they may handle better than my first sword, my only real complaint was the lack of brazil nut pommels on them. Bit blade heavy as well but nothing TOO bad.

Albion swords are probably the best looking to me, shame i'll never be able to afford one anytime soon. I love how historically accurate simple and elegant they really are. Shame none of the trainers have the hilt type i'm looking for.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #44 on: 2010-10-01, 23:04:46 »
i have an old cas ibera viking blunt and a paul binns. my cas does not like my binns hehehe it has many knicks and marks from being hit with it. but for the money its not bad and they have improved things. i just hate hate hate the new cas blade layout. why couldn't they leave it looking like a sword?