"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Arn: Tempelriddaren  (Read 13307 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Arn: Tempelriddaren
« Reply #15 on: 2010-10-27, 21:02:33 »
I'm lookin forward to Robin Hood as well...I've heard mixed reviews; some loved it (one of my workout partners is an action movie junkie like me and he knows my style when it comes to medieval-themed movies, he suggested I get it, not just watch it so we'll see) and some did not.

I got an email response from one of the sellers on eBay about the new Arn disc (I have the one that's in Swedish w/subtitles) and he explained that it was English, French and Arabic languages in movie, as well as English subtitles if you wanted to use them.  I took that to mean that I'd understand the majority of the film.

Also, if you're the type who would boycott something due to the political views of the author/originator...don't look Jan Guillou up.  That's all I'll say. 

Sir Edward, w/regard to the magical aspects in the original Excalibur...I read Le Morte d'Arthur first, before I'd read any other versions and from what I remember, there were a lot of fantastical events.

I saw another take on the Arthurian Legend in a movie, the Mists of Avalon, an interesting movie that dealt with the myths from the viewpoint of Arthur's sisters and wife.  Check it out if you ever get the time.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #16 on: 2010-10-28, 13:24:45 »
wait which Arn did you get? there are several different versions on amazon

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2010-10-28, 13:39:35 »
wait which Arn did you get? there are several different versions on amazon

I got this one (blue ray): http://amzn.com/B003VE9WQA
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2010-10-28, 13:41:01 »
Sir Edward, w/regard to the magical aspects in the original Excalibur...I read Le Morte d'Arthur first, before I'd read any other versions and from what I remember, there were a lot of fantastical events.

I saw another take on the Arthurian Legend in a movie, the Mists of Avalon, an interesting movie that dealt with the myths from the viewpoint of Arthur's sisters and wife.  Check it out if you ever get the time.

Yeah, I still need to see that one.

I should clarify-- I don't mind magic and fantastical events in the Arthurian stories in general. It's when it's overdone to the point of being cheesy that I have a problem. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #19 on: 2010-10-28, 14:05:34 »
i saw that one (mists) it was ok but i remember it being very female "anti-male" repressive type hehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2010-10-28, 14:47:22 »
Agreed @ Sir Edward, I do not like cheese of any kind (except fried mozzarella and pizza, thats IT).  lol

Sir Wolf, you got it right...it was definitely pro-fem and I have no problem with that.  I thought it was not only empowering for female viewers, but I've always believed in the adage that behind every good man is an equally good woman supporting him so why not?

I also enjoyed 'Elizabeth: The Golden Years' with Cate Blanchett playing the warrior queen.  I dig strong women, though.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-28, 14:47:54 by Paladin »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2010-10-28, 17:49:49 »
I also enjoyed 'Elizabeth: The Golden Years' with Cate Blanchett playing the warrior queen.  I dig strong women, though.

*drool* :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2010-10-28, 19:41:39 »
You and me both man...I didn't know who she was til I saw her in LOTR but I was captivated; since then I've gone on to see a number of her films.  She's an excellent actress...not to mention she can evince a sense of being quite formidable...she's the other reason I wanna see Robin Hood.

Her in armor, on horseback?  Yes, sir, may I please have another!