Main > The Round Table

How "in shape" was the average knight or man at arms?

<< < (9/13) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: The Red Knight on 2010-11-05, 14:33:15 ---I saw a show about gladiator remains once, and they suggested these fighters were not overly muscular, nor overly toned (as the movies suggest).  instead, they were "thick" and strong, yet agile (think corn-fed farmboys).  The "meat on their bones" gave a little more protection than a zero percent body fat bodybuilder physique would have.  Wonder if our boys were the same?

--- End quote ---

My thoughts exactly.

Sir Wolf:
during the 15th century, english men from the ages of 6 to 60 were required by law on the sabbath after church to practice with the bow.

Sir William:
Nobility too, or just the peasantry?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: The Red Knight on 2010-11-05, 14:33:15 ---I saw a show about gladiator remains once, and they suggested these fighters were not overly muscular, nor overly toned (as the movies suggest).  instead, they were "thick" and strong, yet agile (think corn-fed farmboys).  The "meat on their bones" gave a little more protection than a zero percent body fat bodybuilder physique would have.  Wonder if our boys were the same?

--- End quote ---

That's the same thing I think. Look at some of the world record holders on things, and compare them to the massive bodybuilders at professional competitions; almost every record holder I've seen is quite thick, but doesn't have much cut and definition to their muscles. Mark Henry, Mark Felix, Tony Cardello, Vladimir Bondarenko ... they literally throw around 400 lbs as if it was a small child, and all have the "farm boy" appearance.

Sir Patrick:
You know, diet is also going to play a major role in physique.  Obviously nobles were at the top of the food chain, but what about the average man-at-arms?  Was he getting a fair amount of animal protien, or was it primarily grains?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version