"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Hand Gonne?  (Read 5208 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Hand Gonne?
« on: 2010-08-13, 15:42:57 »

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Hand Gonne?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-17, 00:38:24 »
I have a Hand Cannon made by a gy from New York that I bought at School of the Musketeer this year. It's considerably larger caliber than the two the Rifle Shoppe makes, just over an inch bore on the gun. It is much shorter in barrel length, at maybe 4 inches. Mine is more of an artillery piece where those are more musket-like. John does not recomend shooting shot out of my gun, due to the short barrel length and large bore size making it difficult to control where the shot goes. It is fun to shoot though, the max charge is about 150 grains, though 120 with a wad makes a nice bang. There is also a guy near Philadelphia that makes them, among other black powder guns, Dominick Carpenter (http://blackpowder-cannons.com/index.htm), I hear very good things about his guns but do not own one yet. I hear mixed reviews of Rifle Shoppe, just as a way of warning.  In any case, if you do get a hand-gonne, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of them. I enjoy mine and can't wait till my matchlock musket is finished, which should be sometime in October.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-17, 12:32:30 »
john buck makes an awesome gonne too. http://www.musketmart.com/ i've got to see his stuff up close

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2010-08-19, 01:45:28 »
I was not aware he made gonnes. I emailed him for a rough idea of his prices and delivery times to pass on to some new people in a newly forming living history unit here, but he has not yet got back to me. Maybe I'll have to give him a call when I get a chance. I know a couple of the members are looking for muskets.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2010-08-23, 03:00:24 »
I had my Gonne at PaRF today to get some questions answered on it. I now have an idea of what to use to replace the split ring holding the pin that secures the gonne to the tiller and a method to "age" the steel without permanently damaging it. The gonne got rave reviews. Too bad it is about 200 years earlier than the Faire is set.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2010-08-23, 14:08:19 »
Too bad it is about 200 years earlier than the Faire is set.

I never let that stop me. I routinely wear my c.1300 kit, and both MDRF and VARF are set in the 16th century.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2010-08-25, 02:30:07 »
Too bad it is about 200 years earlier than the Faire is set.

I never let that stop me. I routinely wear my c.1300 kit, and both MDRF and VARF are set in the 16th century.

Well, perhaps once I get my late 14th century gunner kit assembled, I may bring the gonne back to faire. I have to make a pavise and get some maille armor. I think I'm going to go with maille hauberk, coif and my kettle helm. I have a couple things on the list to save up for before the maille so it will not be anytime soon. I've also decided to order a 50 caliber gonne from Dominick Carpenter. He makes his gonnes to shoot both powder and shot, unlike the large caliber gonne I have now which is only intended for powder. I seem to have been bitten by black powder bug.