"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Ed's Mid 14th C. kit  (Read 106222 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Ed's Mid 14th C. kit
« Reply #195 on: 2011-06-17, 05:47:23 »
Cali?  I just left there...what're you doin out there?  :)

Business trip. I was there all week (and lost my iphone in the process... grrr!!!)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #196 on: 2011-06-17, 13:42:57 »
Oy...these days its like losing your bag at the airport, eh?  I hate how dependent I am on my stupid phone- which did me absolutely zero good at VARF- anyone else have trouble with cell service while there?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #197 on: 2011-06-17, 16:15:21 »
Oy...these days its like losing your bag at the airport, eh?  I hate how dependent I am on my stupid phone- which did me absolutely zero good at VARF- anyone else have trouble with cell service while there?

I think my phone worked at VARF, barely. What carrier are you on?
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #198 on: 2011-06-17, 18:50:26 »
T-Mobile...ordinarily very good but not down there!  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #199 on: 2011-07-11, 15:47:43 »
Lol, Langdraf in the shed......hahahahahahahaha  ;D
That's hilarious. But really, how many Albions does Sir Edward have left........Uhh....I mean how many are still on "sale"?  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #200 on: 2011-07-11, 16:32:10 »
Wait, he's selling them?  Sir Edward...I did not know that.  Which ones are you looking to let go?  :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #201 on: 2011-07-11, 18:16:05 »
What? No, no, no. I'm thinking of selling off some of my older stuff... You know, the old SLO type stuff.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #202 on: 2011-07-11, 18:33:15 »
Hahahaha, guys I was reffering to the same sale Sir William and Brian went to..... ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #203 on: 2011-07-11, 18:35:08 »
Wait, he's selling them?  Sir Edward...I did not know that.  Which ones are you looking to let go?  :)

It's an inside joke, that someone was going to take all of his Albions while he was over on the left coast. AFAIK, they're not *actually* for sale. ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #204 on: 2011-07-12, 15:18:57 »
Oh that's right, I forgot...Brian and I offered to house them temporarily during his move...but he never said yea or nay.  lol

Still, Sir Edward, I'm interested to see what you're letting go!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #205 on: 2012-04-09, 16:36:44 »

OK, so it's been more than a year since I ordered the extra links from KoA, and they're still back-ordered. I've been waiting on that for tailoring the mail haubergeon, constantly thinking they'll be here any week now. :)

I'm itching to taper those sleeves, and replace the triangular expansions at the base that I added with butt-links.

KoA had sent me the tool back in March 2011, but the links are still back-ordered. I got tired of waiting, and ordered a set of links and a tool from Icefalcon (the tools are different, but I'm not sure to what degree). Anyway, I ordered over $200 of stainless links. They arrived, but the tool is backordered. *sigh*

I've been avoiding unwrapping the GDFB tool from KoA, in case I choose to send it back, but I'm wondering if it'll work OK with the Icefalcon rivets? No idea.

And this is going to be more of an issue soon if I order myself a hauberk for my c.1300 kit as well. Lots more tailoring to do.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #206 on: 2012-04-09, 18:25:31 »

OK, so it's been more than a year since I ordered the extra links from KoA, and they're still back-ordered. I've been waiting on that for tailoring the mail haubergeon, constantly thinking they'll be here any week now. :)

I'm itching to taper those sleeves, and replace the triangular expansions at the base that I added with butt-links.

KoA had sent me the tool back in March 2011, but the links are still back-ordered. I got tired of waiting, and ordered a set of links and a tool from Icefalcon (the tools are different, but I'm not sure to what degree). Anyway, I ordered over $200 of stainless links. They arrived, but the tool is backordered. *sigh*

I've been avoiding unwrapping the GDFB tool from KoA, in case I choose to send it back, but I'm wondering if it'll work OK with the Icefalcon rivets? No idea.

And this is going to be more of an issue soon if I order myself a hauberk for my c.1300 kit as well. Lots more tailoring to do.

It seems like unless the rivet heads match exactly, they get distorted with a "mismatched" tool. I have the Historic Enterprises tool, and it doesn't work with the IceFalcon rings. I've got the IceFalcon tool also. I doubt I'll get around to tailoring my mail anytime within the next month or two, since I'm focusing on the plate for VARF, you're welcome to borrow my IceFalcon tool. Plus it's got semi-cushioned grips. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #207 on: 2012-04-09, 19:07:48 »
Cool, I might give that a shot.

Yeah, I have some plasti-dip for when I start using my tools. Hopefully that helps.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #208 on: 2012-04-10, 16:44:47 »
Cool, I might give that a shot.

Yeah, I have some plasti-dip for when I start using my tools. Hopefully that helps.

It does, that's exactly what I used.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #209 on: 2012-04-10, 17:48:40 »
They use PD for a lot of applications...the clowns on my car forum are using it to black out their rims, trim and other stuff that doesn't require a light source behind it.  Pretty cool too since they can just peel it off if they tire of the look, and its way cheaper than getting that stuff anodized.