"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Ideas for a Starter Kit and Also SCA legal  (Read 5861 times)

Michael de Faifaix

• New Forum Member
    • My Facebook
Ideas for a Starter Kit and Also SCA legal
« on: 2014-01-06, 03:19:44 »
Greetings everyone!

As I have wanders throughout the armoury threads, I have seen many ideas for 13th / 14th cen kits and one also for the CoTT that is SCA legal. With such being said, I pose this question for the hivemind of all. I am daycare broke lol and working on a very tight budget. My ideals have spung from this one thread http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=85680. I have already picked up a great bassinet w/ visor (its a high back point, almost looks Itallian)

As for Body, I am Close to doing / picking up a wisby CoP style 1 or 3...I need a little more for my back support due to an injury from Afghanistan... But I'm open for ideas on that one. As for arms and legs, I would like to do the soupcan elbows and knees with the flared edges..like the ones that can be found on windrose armory...for the rest I don't know wether to go Full plate or splinted...the guys and gals here in the outlands like to hit like a mack truck... I'm also in the market for some wisby gauntlets as well, but again I am up for ideas.

This my not be the right place for this, but for soft kit and the like, I am at a loss. I do know that I will need an arming cote 1. because getting hit hurts and 2. so I can attach the armor to the cote to make putting it on easier. I do have some room for wiggle though. anywhere between 1340 and 1360ish is where I would like to fall.

many thanks in advance for ideas, money saving tricks/hints/tips and the like

Mighell de Faifax
Citadel of the Southern Pass Man-at-Arms

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Ideas for a Starter Kit and Also SCA legal
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-06, 16:09:06 »
Which area during 1360?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-07, 05:20:53 »
Welcome!

I understand the limits of a very tight budget.  One of the best pieces of advice I received many years ago was to purchase a good sewing machine and learn how to use it.  Many retailers offer free classes with the purchase of a machine, take advantage of the opportunity.

As you've probably read on this and other armour forums, start with your soft kit first.  Figure out the time and general location that you'd like to portray.  I'm very fond of the 1350's in southern England / northern France.   :)

I've fought in the "soup can" knee & elbow cops from Windrose for many years, they are a good choice.  My glowing review may still be found on their website.

Another excellent choice for the budget minded is Allan Senefelder found on this forum and others.  Many people here, including myself, will vouch for his workmanship, customer service, and pricing.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-07, 21:55:32 »
Well, if you want to work with a budget, websites do offer "economy" armor. But, the 14th century was a time of many developments in armor and so the variety is quite large. You can go with splinted, if you want something not quite as heavy as plate, or go with soup-can. Mad Matt's Armory sells 14th century armor. Don't worry I know how you feel, I have no money and I too seek a 14th century kit. But, in this hobby, if you want good gear, you gonna have to have a bit of cash(which i wish i had). Winter steel class sells a CoP for a decent price.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-09, 20:11:53 by Sir Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-07, 22:57:29 »
I'll definitely vouch for Allan/MercTailor. About 3/4 of my kit is by him; all but soft bits, mail, helmet, greaves and sabatons.

But foundation/arming garments first. Always. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Michael de Faifaix

• New Forum Member
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-09, 06:27:53 »
Which area during 1360?

I don't really know an era I would like to do.....don't know to much about that part. I know the battle of wisby was in 61, but thats it on that part.

Welcome!

I understand the limits of a very tight budget.  One of the best pieces of advice I received many years ago was to purchase a good sewing machine and learn how to use it.  Many retailers offer free classes with the purchase of a machine, take advantage of the opportunity.

As you've probably read on this and other armour forums, start with your soft kit first.  Figure out the time and general location that you'd like to portray.  I'm very fond of the 1350's in southern England / northern France.   :)

I've fought in the "soup can" knee & elbow cops from Windrose for many years, they are a good choice.  My glowing review may still be found on their website.

Another excellent choice for the budget minded is Allan Senefelder found on this forum and others.  Many people here, including myself, will vouch for his workmanship, customer service, and pricing.

I've looked at those knees and elbows and like them very much. as for arms and legs I was going to go with splinted as that would be the cheaper route..I can make those, but for torso I don't know if a cherbourge or wisby wouod be better?
Mighell de Faifax
Citadel of the Southern Pass Man-at-Arms