"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Valiant Armoury Kriegschwert Signature Edition  (Read 4880 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Valiant Armoury Kriegschwert Signature Edition
« on: 2010-03-05, 14:37:20 »
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-284-the-kriegschwert-signature-edition-sword.aspx

The Kriegschwert Signature Edition

Anyone know anything about this piece? It looks like a pretty good price considering it includes a scabbard and suspension. The sword doesn't even have to be that good for it to be a fair price. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Dragonlover

Re: Valiant Armoury Kriegschwert Signature Edition
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-05, 19:00:31 »

It's an Oakeshott type XIIA that I modeled my scabbard and suspension after. Just about my favorite type of blade with the long, gradual taper. Supposed to be a fair series if I'm not mistaken.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-08, 18:48:37 »

I see that it's a Christian Fletcher / Angus Trim design. As long as Valiant can reproduce it from the prototype reasonably well, it should be a pretty good deal. I'm tempted to order one.

(I should note, I've told myself not to buy swords this year because I need scabbards first... but since this one includes a scabbard, it wouldn't set me any further behind in that goal) :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Dragonlover

« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-08, 22:34:52 »
Yeah, I've had a picture of it up in my seller's cabinet (bar) for quite a while now. Like that graceful line it has to it....Ah hell Ed, ya' only live once..... ;D

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-09, 03:51:47 »
I'll be honest, I don't like it. I *want* to like it. I think Valiant is showing potential to do decent products at a very reasonable price... but they're trying to tackle historical without really understanding what "historical" means.

This sword in particular seems to have elements of different cultures and time periods smashed together into something that perhaps is plausible, but looks really funny to anyone who's studied a lot of antiques. It isn't terribly out of the question, and the general lines and shaping are pretty good (which is why I say I want to like it), but ultimately it just looks wrong to me. *shrug*

On the flip side, I think its leaps and bounds better than much of the other swords out there on the market. You could do a whole lot worse than this. I just hope that Valiant steps up their research department, because they clearly have the capability, and I think this sword is heading the right direction.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-09, 14:45:13 »

Yeah, it's a very pretty sword even if it's less than accurate. I wish they had larger images to get a really good look at it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III