"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Bad Parents!  (Read 22645 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Bad Parents!
« Reply #30 on: 2010-10-12, 16:15:11 »
Well said, Sir Edward...I agree.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #31 on: 2010-11-10, 01:50:34 »
Well here I come with the gamewinner of drunk stories! (I believe I've already told Sir Ed and possibly Sir Brian about this one...)
I was wearing my cuirass for costume day at my high school ( which basically morphed into "lets see who can hit 16g steel the hardest" day) and I was walking to a sheetz, when a drunk comes out of the bar which I was walking by. The man walks up to me, and makes a slurred comment about stupid armour (oh how I love the irony!) and proceeds to give me a full power punch on the medial ridge. His hand actually breaks (my parents are doctors, I could recognize that anywhere) and he then looks at it, and begins to yell in his painful discovery about the effectiveness of plate. The man, yelling all the while, then stumbles into a back alley. I just continued on my way, and never saw the enlightened chap again.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #32 on: 2010-11-10, 14:22:35 »

Hah, stupid drunk indeed! Wow, it never ceases to amaze me just how stupid some people can get. My feeling is that they already have to be stupid before the alcohol, and that the drinking simply amplified it. It almost makes you feel sorry for them when they hurt themselves like that. Almost. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2010-11-10, 16:23:12 »
Almost, but not quite.  He had that coming...he just assaulted that young man, which would he prefer?  Charges or a broken hand?  He chose the broken hand...probably a better outcome than he deserved.  Love it, nonetheless, thanks for sharing, Sir Nathan.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #34 on: 2010-11-10, 21:11:14 »
No problem, I was wondering weather or not it was applicable to a thread mostly about children, but I figured that (if going by maturity levels) it would be quite on topic.....
And Sir Ed, I would have to agree with you on your theory, since high school seems to be the perfect experiment for it...
The geniuses in high school go about landing punches on the plate like I'm Harry Houdini! And they're (mostly) sober!
I think in that environment, where there are few inhibitions to the stupidity, it makes itself known at all times, But as these people are forced to pretend that they are responsible adults, the stupid learns to hide. However, alcohol brings back the glory days I'm afraid.....

And that is in fact true Paladin, I didn't think about that! He technically did assault me! Well it wasn't very successful, he learned his lesson (hopefully, if not he at least won't be physically able to do that again for a few months....), and I don't know who in Gods name he was, so I'm not gonna make a legal stink  :D 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2010-11-10, 22:03:51 »
Sir Nathan, that's good, I wasn't advocating that you should, only that it could've turned out that way, had you been older, more cynical and perhaps more inclined toward the litigous route like a lot of people.  LOL

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2010-11-10, 23:35:43 »
Hmmm, I dont know, had I been more cynical, I might still have not made a lawsuit out of sheer amusement.......
and I don't think going toward a more litigious route would be the chivalric thing to do here, the poor guy probably didn't know what he was doing.  ;D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2010-11-12, 16:23:32 »
Well, chivalry and litigation will hardly ever go hand in hand, at least not in the context of today's society.  No, I think you did what was best in the end...he had a lesson he'll not soon forget and you were the one to teach it to him.  That will probably gall him worse than anything else...that a perceived youngster should be the deliverer of said message- one he should already have known for himself but perhaps forgotten.

You don't mess with a man in armor.  It really is that simple.  :)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2010-11-17, 14:41:38 »
Very true. Some of the laws these day completely boggle me!
Ha, if anyone gave him a lesson, it was Allan from MercTailor, he was the one who made the breastplate so frikkin tough.  :D

Ha, I think that line, "You don't mess with a man in armor.  It really is that simple.   :)" needs to be made into a T shirt. Or a surcoat, (and a jupon and tabard variety for the late period knights) so we can wear that with our armour. Keep the smiley too. Gives it character.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2010-11-17, 15:01:31 »
T-shirt?  That'll work for me.  lol

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #40 on: 2010-11-17, 15:23:40 »

OK, I feel a Modern Chivalry cafepress shop coming on... lol :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2010-11-17, 16:06:19 »
Why not?  I mean, maybe not right now, but eventually.  I can see it now...faire-goers in the tri-state area will be wanting one of our t-shirts after meeting us!  :)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #42 on: 2010-11-17, 20:12:16 »
hahahaha a pic of a breastplate (like the entire shirt) with the caption, "Yes this will hurt your hand, foot, face if you smash into it" ahhahah

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #43 on: 2010-11-17, 20:35:16 »

"Hitting this could prove bad for your health"
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2010-11-17, 21:02:00 »
"Accost Me At Your Own Risk"