Main > The Round Table

Pirate vs. Knight

(1/5) > >>

Sir Brian:
Talking about the Deadliest Warrior series on Spike TV and the episode where they matched
a pirate against a knight.
http://www.spike.com/full-episode/pirate-vs-knight/31860

They had the pirate win by approximately 65% of the time which I think is a bunch of BS since a
majority of the pirate's kills was attributed to the blunderbuss and grenado. Both are certainly
devestating weapons but not all that reliable in firing or of getting a projectile through the armor
and into a vital "instant" kill area. I also don't think the simulation program took into account that
the 25 kills afforded to the cutless is wrong solely because of the lack of effectiveness of an edged
weapon vs armor. Then there is the offensive capabilities of the armor itself vs an unarmored opponent.  >:(

What I would have really liked to have seen is the knight vs the samuari or ninja.  ;)

Sir Edward:

Yep, sounds like BS to me. Not to mention the fact that most pirates weren't well trained in the combat arts, whereas knights could afford it. The cutlass was designed for close-up fighting in confined spaces, not penetrating armor. A matchlock firearm would have to be prepared in advance (can't be kept loaded for lengthy periods of time because moisture will ruin the charge, and the match cord has to be lit in advance). And if your one-shot misses, you're screwed.

These sorts of comparisons almost never accomplish anything beyond being an interesting thought experiment. I would suspect any "simulation" to be dubious at best.

Sir Wolf:
i think that show dumbs down history too much. its like looking at the United Cutlery Catalog for the first time. we were all ooooooo and ahhhhhhhhhh over the 440 stainless steel swords until we read 1 book and where like those are junk. same thing here hehehe. only i haven't watched the show.

Dragonlover:
the show is okay if you take it for what it is: amusing scenarios that make you want to say
"what if"   Other than that, it's pretty much as I was explaining it to Sir Edward and Sir Brian
at VARF... :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Dragonlover on 2009-06-08, 18:24:20 ---the show is okay if you take it for what it is: amusing scenarios that make you want to say
"what if"   Other than that, it's pretty much as I was explaining it to Sir Edward and Sir Brian
at VARF... :)

--- End quote ---

lol! I knew I heard about this from somewhere before!
...It must of been those last few nips of scotch you so graciously shared with me from that
weekend that went straight to my memory!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version