"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Mail Legs  (Read 6006 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Mail Legs
« Reply #1 on: 2009-05-30, 21:56:43 »

Very cool. I really do need a better solution than the ones I made. They work, but require a lot of maintenance since the aluminum butted rings just aren't strong enough and pull apart around the knees over time. Just walking slowly opens them up, even though they're not being pulled tight very often.

Those options look pretty good, though the price on the chausses is per leg. Get a pair of them in riveted mail, and it's $633. The pants might not be too bad, but even though the offer aluminum, I'd still be inclined to get steel because of the problems I have currently (and they don't offer riveted). It would be about $419 in a custom size. I wonder how that would fit with my boots.

Boy, this is all tricky. Maybe I should go even later in period and just get some splinted legs. But I really want mail if I can do it. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2009-05-31, 14:05:47 »
Icefalcon is frustrating. No sizing info beyond "large" and "medium", and sometimes no pictures. The one on sale, is that riveted or butted? It would be nice if they'd list at least a little bit of these kinds of details and measurements on each page. Who wants to spend hundreds, without knowing what they're getting?

I'd love to get a full matching set of riveted mail. But I need details. :) I have to decide if I want a real hauberk, or go for more of a haubergeon. On the latter, I can always add a slit at the bottom, and taper the sleeve some if I need to.

In terms of the chausses, I could always make life easier and get splinted or some sort of early plate to wear, pushing my era forward a bit, and totally invalidate that "How well do you know Ed" question in facebook! lol... Truth is I really like about 1250-1350, so it's sorta a trick question anyway. :)
« Last Edit: 2009-05-31, 14:24:11 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2009-05-31, 20:31:17 »
Icefalcon is frustrating. No sizing info beyond "large" and "medium", and sometimes no pictures. The one on sale, is that riveted or butted? It would be nice if they'd list at least a little bit of these kinds of details and measurements on each page. Who wants to spend hundreds, without knowing what they're getting?

I'd love to get a full matching set of riveted mail. But I need details. :) I have to decide if I want a real hauberk, or go for more of a haubergeon. On the latter, I can always add a slit at the bottom, and taper the sleeve some if I need to.

In terms of the chausses, I could always make life easier and get splinted or some sort of early plate to wear, pushing my era forward a bit, and totally invalidate that "How well do you know Ed" question in facebook! lol... Truth is I really like about 1250-1350, so it's sorta a trick question anyway. :)

hahaha you have to read above the listing in the links area  ie:

*   Home    * TOP QUALITY CHAINMAIL    * Blackened 6mm Riveted Chainmail    * 6mm chainmail chausses (Regular)

6mm chainmail chausses (Regular)

so yes the 20%off armour archive sale was for rivetted 6mm which is smaller rings that makes the suit heavier...

i emailed him about the regular chausses measurements. he said when he goes to the shop he will measure them for me.

:)

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-02, 00:15:14 »
The chausses are 13" across the thigh opening, 8.5 at the foot and 40" long.

Would you like to order now?

Andreas / Icefalcon

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2009-06-02, 00:30:05 »

Yeah, I got the same email. I asked a couple of other questions. I might consider the full chausses and try them out. Even if I have to adjust them a little, it might be a good starting point.

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #7 on: 2009-06-19, 04:40:34 »

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-06, 20:52:38 »
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=96&cat=Chainmail+Clothing&websess=7276521131691 eh its something i guess
Lumberjack Leg Protection with attached Sock

Wire Dia.:   0.025''   0.6 mm
Actual ID:   0.15''   3.8 mm
   Price: US$100.50 /pair
AR:     6
Approx. Rings Per Sq Ft:     8395
Approx. Ring per Sq Ft: 6400
Price is for 2 pieces (a pair of leg protectors)
Designed for competitors in Lumber Jack Competitions. Sized for average adults. Custom sizes available.    Weight is approximately 2 lb(s)/ pair
Usually Ships in 3-5 Business Days
Contact us for further details
CMLJLFSS22532

Sock

Wire Dia.:   0.025''   0.6 mm
Actual ID:   0.15''   3.8 mm
   Price: US$44.20 /pair
AR:     6
Approx. Rings Per Sq Ft:     8395
Approx. Ring per Sq Ft: 6400
Sock that covers the front of the foot.
Price is for 2 pieces (a pair)
Designed for competitors in Lumber Jack Competitions. Sized for average adults. Custom sizes available.    Weight is approximately 1 lb(s)/ pair
Usually Ships in 3-5 Business Days
Contact us for further details