Main > The Round Table

To lead, you must be willing to lose for those you lead.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jon Blair:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2016-04-09, 23:29:31 ---There is a "Banishment from our presence" which can mean that they are banished from the Kingdom or just events the Royals attend, but in these cases it's the Board of Directors (BOD) of the SCA that is doing the banishing, and in some cases it's one man , the Society Seneshal, doing the banishing and wrangling up the rest of the board to back him up or doing it and then when folks check the rest of the BOD goes "oh yes us too".

Basically there is no higher authority. There was a time about 25 years ago that the Kingdoms were willing to stand up to the BOD, and at that time the Estrella Accords were written up and signed saying "f**k with us and we will leave the SCA, take our members, and form our own group in the style of a federation" but after that $10 million lawsuit a decade back that the SCA settled on the SCA has become very very gun shy about getting sued again. Anyone in any way that might maybe someday perhaps get them sued for some reason, rightly or wrongly, gets tossed. Paid membership be damned.

And it's not like they get R&D'ed wherein they are permanently persona non-grata from the SCA, it's that they get placed on a permanent "review" wherein the BOD promises to "someday" come back and review the case.

It's internecine geek-meets-church politics at it's worst.

(EDIT: "...but in these cases it's the Board of Directors (BOD) of the SCA that is doing the banishing..."- The cases in my OP is what I'm referring to, not the "banished from our presence" ones that are usually for a single reign only.)

--- End quote ---
Ah, so the kingdoms aren't banishing people, the Star Chamber is.

Sir Rodney:
I personally don't know anyone who has been banished in my 25+ years in the SCA.  The few instances I'm familiar with fall into two categories. 

1) What the hell were you thinking?!  Your actions were illegal / immoral / blatantly flaunting SCA rules.  Not only should you be banished, you should be in jail.

2) What just happened?!  Your actions were in no way, shape or form illegal / immoral / against the SCA rules.  You must have really pissed off someone with a white belt / crown.   >:(

Sir William:
For something that is supposed to be 'a game', in a way it is much like the most mundane of real life.  Politics to the extent that you have reasoning, thinking people cowering in fear of losing...what?  A paper crown?  The regard of people just like you who look to you for succor since you're the 'King' or 'Queen'?  Who would've thought. 

Joshua Santana:
My 2 cents on this.

If A King or Queen in the SCA has banished several people for shadowy reasons, it is a red flag indicating something scandalous or criminal which was done or has been going on which is reason enough to keep it low key. 

At that point one's loyalty must be affirmed or inspected if need be to make sure that you yourself are not part of the guilty party. 

There is nothing wrong with maintaining accountability with yourself and with your peers, if one must ask accountability from a King or Queen, it has to be done with utmost sincerity and respect so as to not create division.

Joshua Santana:
One thing I like to add is that yes to lead one must let go of people that refuse to be led or go against your leadership by defiance or by scandalous backstabbing which itself is a lesson.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version