"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Scabbard for an Albion Poitiers for wear with a Plaque Belt  (Read 26697 times)

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
Re: Scabbard for an Albion Poitiers for wear with a Plaque Belt
« Reply #45 on: 2014-10-05, 05:30:15 »
I remember reading a thread on Armor Archive historical forums from a gentleman who was attempting what you describe Sir Ian. If you really want to be top of the game, you need more than armor, more than soft kit, more than horses (plural!) more than Pavillion and accouterments - you need people. Servants, squires, retainers... and all the armor, kit and civil items for those people as well. So I agree the full-on impression is a daunting goal, and quite literally beyond reach for a single individual.

I've been thinking of what my own answers would be if I were asked the same questions, and I realize I don't have a very well defined goal. Because of how I got into this, an extension of sword collecting into armor collecting, and an extension of armor collecting into more of a full impression, and the realization that the full impression includes so many little details that I have to pick and choose, and the final realization that I need a goal in order to know what details are highest priority.

But I don't want to further hijack the thread to talking about me. Thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Scabbard for an Albion Poitiers for wear with a Plaque Belt
« Reply #46 on: 2014-10-05, 13:18:29 »
Wow, the thread really took off after I last posted. I just haven't had the time to be on the forum much these last few days (and still don't).

But yeah, I just wanted to point out the typical mistake we all make of assuming the entire period was the same about everything. The word "knight" has its origins in meaning "servant boy", and the earliest knights didn't have a formal title, but rather, anyone who could afford a horse and knew how to fight could colloquially be called a knight. It took time for it to gradually become more formal, with greater duties and financial requirements. At the other extreme, in the 16th century, it had little to do with horsemanship, and was instead a title of lesser nobility, whose responsibilities were mostly financial. But that's what's fascinating about the 14th century, is that it's at a bit of a tipping point. It's early enough in the period that knights were still mounted warriors, and late enough that they were also obscenely wealthy, and very important people.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )