"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Huge swords - the Montante  (Read 11328 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Huge swords - the Montante
« Reply #15 on: 2014-09-11, 16:57:31 »
But then, I also don't know the techniques in using them so that's part of it.

Having trained with Count Sir Thyjothrekr Eiriksen of Calintir I can can say with confidence that I do. Plus my SCA longsword is actually 53"OAL. (It's the one in my vid)

Meanwhile.... in the midwest....

Made by Arms & Armor.
"I am surprised. Completely and utterly surprised. I was wondering what a 5.8lb, 64 inch, ~5 inch bp sword would feel like, and I'm completely speechless. It feels goooooood. I'm most surprised by just how much is EASIER than with my trainer, including altibaxo and forward cuts (into the high forward position.) I do not feel the weight, it just moves. It wants to move, and does so with graceful, deadly, authority. I think I did the montante proud with my montante. My sharp longsword is all good, but this sword is infinitely more deadly. I love it." -James Clark, owner.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-09, 21:16:42 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2014-09-11, 20:38:42 »
I.... I want that. NOW!  :o  8)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #17 on: 2014-09-12, 22:10:56 »
Patience young Padawan. :) Toys come with time, training, funding and wife's approval. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #18 on: 2014-09-16, 11:07:31 »
The HEMA group down here has montante wasters and we usually have a class or two from time to time...I love the weight and using its energy to continue to the next move...if you YouTube montante exercises there are some beautiful examples of the forms.

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #19 on: 2015-07-05, 17:19:13 »
Not going to lie, I would definitely like to have a ridiculously huge sword, just for the fun of it. I can't imagine to many people would want to engage you if you were toting around a giant heavy blade. I imagine that their first thought would be along the lines of "No way. Cant even begin to block that. One hit and its over."
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.