Main > The Round Table

My knights impression

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir Humphrey:
Yes I plan on the ailettes.  They will be a similar color blue with the de Bohun rampant lion on each.  How big should they be, and how are they attached?  Thornstienn, I have to ask:  what is an intrinsic helm cover?  I might make a crest of some kind, just not sure what and how elaborate I can make it without it looking cheesy.  The de Bohun's unofficial symbol was the chained swan. That might be it.  Sir Ian, I have not yet experimented with an underbelt on the hauberk, but I have leather and buckle standing by.

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Sir Humphrey on 2014-08-02, 02:01:23 ---Yes I plan on the ailettes.  They will be a similar color blue with the de Bohun rampant lion on each.  How big should they be, and how are they attached?  Thornstienn, I have to ask:  what is an intrinsic helm cover?  I might make a crest of some kind, just not sure what and how elaborate I can make it without it looking cheesy.  The de Bohun's unofficial symbol was the chained swan. That might be it.  Sir Ian, I have not yet experimented with an underbelt on the hauberk, but I have leather and buckle standing by.

--- End quote ---

Ailettes attached typically with leather bindings; sometimes with the brass tips to thread easier through the maille. Can be made of wood, leather, or steel plate. Size is relative to the wearer but the proportions are accurate as seen in the previous pic I posted on the figurine. Sir Edward and myself wear them with our circa 1300 look (mine are slightly larger).

Sir Humphrey:
Lord Dane,

Maybe 1/2 inch thick poplar about 6x8 or so?  I'm imagining two holes near the center to pass the cord and lace on to the mail?

THanks

Thorsteinn:
"Thornstienn, I have to ask:  what is an intrinsic helm cover? "

Said 'a Mantle with an intrinsic helm cover'. A mantle that would, as part of it's design, have an attached cover made of cloth for the helm like certain crusaders used or nomads do in the desert even today.

So as to keep the sun off the top sides & back of your helm & keep the helm cooler.

Sir Wolf:
sweet

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version