Main > The Round Table

My knights impression

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Brian:
Looks great! :)

Ian:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2014-08-02, 05:08:13 ---"Thornstienn, I have to ask:  what is an intrinsic helm cover? "

Said 'a Mantle with an intrinsic helm cover'. A mantle that would, as part of it's design, have an attached cover made of cloth for the helm like certain crusaders used or nomads do in the desert even today.

So as to keep the sun off the top sides & back of your helm & keep the helm cooler.

--- End quote ---

I think you guys are actually talking about the same thing.  Thorsteinn, when most of us refer to a mantle for a great helm we intend a cloth covering that drapes on the sides and covers the top, which is what I think you're describing.

The concern with the torse is that there's no evidence for a torse on any helmets earlier than the 1400's.  On a bascinet they're seemingly relegated to England and called an 'Orle' and even then they're very rare.  On great helms, they're usually seen on jousting helmets and used for heraldic crest displays.  Prior to the 15th century it's virtually all mantles.  Torses however are a very popular reenactorism / SCAdianism, but there's no art or effigy evidence showing them for the times that reenactors like to wear them for (mostly the 14th century).

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Sir Humphrey on 2014-08-02, 02:54:21 ---Lord Dane,

Maybe 1/2 inch thick poplar about 6x8 or so?  I'm imagining two holes near the center to pass the cord and lace on to the mail?

THanks

--- End quote ---

Made mine with 1/4 plywood, backed in felt, fronted with boiled leather. Overall dimensions are 5x7 and a little less than 1/2 inch thick. Paints are acrylic. Tie them to the mail with leather throngs. I wear mine vertically on my delts, but some people wear them horizontally over their shoulders. Not sure which is right though.

Don Jorge:
Your kit looks great!

Sir Edward:

Wow, looks great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version