"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Term for cross on helm?  (Read 4713 times)

Timothy

• "The whole of heraldry and of chivalry is in courtesy" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Amateur Herald of Arms
Term for cross on helm?
« on: 2014-07-15, 09:17:24 »
Good Morning,

A question has been asked on FB as to the name, if any of the cross slot on a helm as pictured.

Thanks

Timothy
[br Barry Or and Vert surmounting a Bend counterchanged],
a Lion rampant armed and langued Gules
 an Orle of eight Trefoils slipped Sable counterchanged Or .

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Term for cross on helm?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-15, 13:00:57 »
I don't think there's an official term for it. People often refer to the various holes on the face plate as "breath holes" or something similar, so I would just say that it's one that happens to be cross shaped.

You'll notice that some helms have holes evenly on both sides, and others put most of them on the right cheek. The reason for the latter, is that the left cheek is the side that's more likely to take a punch from a lance.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-15, 13:02:00 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-16, 15:49:08 »
Sir Edward covered it. I've not seen any specific name for it. In addition to the lance, earlier helms of the period when they still used shields would be more likely to be struck on the left side of the helmet (right handed single hand weapon), and would have less (or no) holes on some helms for that same reason.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-17, 04:25:27 »
As stated above, “breaths” is the only term I’m familiar with.

There are no breaths on the left side of my houndskull visor in my (very old) avatar picture, presumably for the reason that Sir Edward mentioned.  I was very blind to opponent’s shots originating from my lower left, thus I copied the hole pattern to the left side of my visor and drilled away!

My vision was much improved at the expense of lance safety which isn’t much of an issue since I don’t own a horse.   ;)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-17, 11:50:31 »
The whole breaths on one side thing was not just for lances.  In period men-at-arms were 'highly encouraged' (read all but forced) to fight right-handed.  You wouldn't want to be sinister after all, so you were taught to fight dexterous!  Dexter being the Latin for 'right' and sinister being the Latin for 'left.' 

It was important so that people wouldn't be in each other's way when fighting in a line.  Imagine a line of men with poleaxes or swords and everyone fighting with different handedness. It would be like a chaotic version of sitting close to someone at a crowded dinner table when the person immediately to your right is left-handed.  You'd keep interfering with each other's ability to fight effectively.  So not just lances, but most strikes in general were coming from the opponent's right and thus to your left.  So you had to decide if you wanted stronger protection on the left, or better breathing and vision.  It was a compromise.  There are quite a few examples of both styles of breaths, but there are no examples I can think of that only have holes on the left side.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-17, 22:57:00 »
I don't think there's an official term for it. People often refer to the various holes on the face plate as "breath holes" or something similar, so I would just say that it's one that happens to be cross shaped.

You'll notice that some helms have holes evenly on both sides, and others put most of them on the right cheek. The reason for the latter, is that the left cheek is the side that's more likely to take a punch from a lance.

For the helm in this picture. Wouldn't that cross ventilation shape prove to be more risky when taking a lance to the face? Since it's 4 corners that don't connect. Which risks the chance of a lance pushing the metal out of the way and going into the persons face? Where with multiple holes there is still less chance of the metal opening? Although there is a greater chance of splinters going through the helm.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-17, 23:11:14 »
For the helm in this picture. Wouldn't that cross ventilation shape prove to be more risky when taking a lance to the face? Since it's 4 corners that don't connect. Which risks the chance of a lance pushing the metal out of the way and going into the persons face? Where with multiple holes there is still less chance of the metal opening? Although there is a greater chance of splinters going through the helm.

Yes, if a lance happened to hit the bulls eye it would probably split right open.  You've basically pre-scored the faceplate  to peel back like petals allowing the lance to skewer your jaw.  But hey, you'll look cool before you die :)  In that case, I would say the most appropriate name for that cross is 'target.'  ;D
« Last Edit: 2014-07-17, 23:13:38 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-28, 21:25:58 »
I asked my esteemed armorer Jeffrey Hildebrandt this question and he said he's never heard of any special name for them.