Main > The Courtyard

Historical HEMA Tournaments and Deeds of Arms

<< < (18/19) > >>

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2014-06-05, 21:40:16 ---I am/was considering cutting up one of my regular fencing masks and having a section welded over my visor's oculars but I backed off a bit on the idea because I'm not ready to buy a replacement mask yet and the guy at Short Point in February had his helmet's oculars done and during our impromptu harnischfechten study group it had failed. Of course it may have just been a really shoddy welding job (looked that way from the quick look I had) and I know there are some top notch welders at my job...Perhaps it is time to shop for a new mask. If I get this done and it holds up to testing I'll be asking for all your visors! ;)
--- End quote ---

Well I happened to score some scrap perforated steel and had a piece welded over my oculars on my visor. It turned out great! Visibility is hardly compromised and I truly feel completely safe. I still have plenty of perforated steel and can easily modify your visors gentlemen if you are interested. Just PM if you want me to and I'll give you my shipping address! :)

Ian:
Have you done any thrust testing on it?  Would be interested to hear if it deforms at all or suffers any damage from use.

Sir Brian:
Not as yet. I need to locate a fencing school that has a tester on the premises and ask them to test it for me. Although I suppose I should just go ahead and
purchase this: http://shop.fencing.net/Mask_Punch_Test_p/fwf93101.htm, so I can test everyone's modified visor after I get the perforated steel welded onto them. :-\
I did slightly peen the perforated steel into the oculars afterwards though that should add little more resistance to a thrust from the opposing direction.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-10-30, 21:18:36 ---Have you done any thrust testing on it?  Would be interested to hear if it deforms at all or suffers any damage from use.

--- End quote ---

That's my concern too. :)

Thorsteinn:
BTW have y'all seen the interchangeable polearm heads being worked on for the HEMA Alliance?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version