"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: New Shield. Thoughts?  (Read 5787 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
New Shield. Thoughts?
« on: 2014-05-17, 01:57:10 »
Comments? Questions?

it's a 22" x 36" curved oval centergrip.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-17, 03:42:14 by Thorsteinn »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: New Shield. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-17, 03:22:33 »
I like it. It seems to provide good defense and mobility.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-17, 13:16:54 »
It looks great, in terms of size and mobility. How is the weight? The nice thing about the center-grips is that you can use the shield at arm extension like a buckler, though of course that's tough to hold for any length of time. :)

The good news is that you don't really need a full gaunt inside the shield, unless you need to drop the shield and continue fighting.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-17, 18:11:35 »
It looks great, in terms of size and mobility. How is the weight?

Well given that I've not exercised in a while the 8-ish lbs feels like a lot. We know that I will probably go smaller with the next shield (Say 21" x 34"), and given that it's 2 layers of 5mm Luan and 3 layers of canvas we don't know how long that will be. I know I'm gonna have to hit the weights to get back to where I could use this without hurting myself. Good news is that it makes my shoulder much happier.

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-18, 06:47:32 »
... The good news is that you don't really need a full gaunt inside the shield, unless you need to drop the shield and continue fighting.

This is something I've been wondering about a lot since I started getting historically accurate shields. I mostly deal in late 14th century (so it may not apply to the present conversation much), but as far as I can tell they didn't have adjustable grip straps or endarmes, so they would need to be made to fit your arm and hand with armor... thus the straps wouldn't fit right without. Also, the geometry of wearing a shield with hourglass gauntlets is very awkward. So, I kind of think they went without a gauntlet on the shield hand but I don't have any historical sources to compare my opinion to.

Of course, the kind of oval, center grip shield depicted in this thread was in use much earlier, since before the Thueros of Greek antiquity had copied even earlier Celtic shield designs, and had fallen out of use by the 12th century or so, so it predates any plate armor style gauntlets I'm aware of, though mail mittens were in use during part of that medieval timeframe.

Scott

D.Shortt

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-18, 18:28:59 »
Seems like a decent start. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a full gaunt in. Maybe just try and chain glove?

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #6 on: 2014-05-19, 03:28:37 »
I’ll make the assumption that this shield is for SCA combat (Thorsteinn is an active member).  I know very little of this period so I can’t comment on historical accuracy. The construction seems very solid and it should take a beating.

From a strictly SCA “sword & board” point of view, I like it very much.   :)  Knees and below are illegal target areas, so simply keeping the bottom edge of the shield near your knee cop eliminates any low blows to your left (shield) side.  Raising it slightly will block any high shots from a right handed opponent.  Rotating it left slightly will block most wrap shots.  The oval shape allows you a full range of attacks without being encumbered as you would be with a center grip round shield.

Unfortunately, you will have to find or make some type of hand & wrist protection.  For those not in the SCA, even a center grip shield, with your hand inside the boss, requires you to wear hand protection.  Why, I can’t say.  It’s another one of our many silly rules.   ::)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-05-19, 20:34:20 »
What is the material of the shield? As far as I know, shields of the era were made of lindenwood planks glued together and bound with rawhide and a leather (or canvas) covering.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-19, 23:35:08 »
Well the shield isn't done yet & I do have hand protection, but as my hand is more than 4" from the edge & is  covered a bit by the boss I can use one of my half gauntlets. I was just seeing if the full gauntlet would work as that would allow me to not worry as much on my grip strength giving out.

Right now it's made with 2 layers of 5mm luan plywood with 3 layers of canvas (one in the middle). I didn't want to get too spendy as I didn't know if I'd like it.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-20, 17:36:41 by Thorsteinn »

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #9 on: 2014-05-20, 02:33:39 »
That construction should prove to be very durable.   :)

You’re very fortunate with the center grip issue!  I used to have a (very well made) basket grip on my heater and I was still required to squeeze a clamshell gauntlet in there.  Regional interpretation of the exact same rule as well as time, this was a while ago, make all the difference.   ;)

Let us know how it holds up at practice!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #10 on: 2014-05-20, 04:46:34 »
I prefer round shields myself to heaters but the center grips are always tricky - depends on the hand protection you are wearing; If it is balanced well-enough & sturdy, it should hold up nicely in rattan fighting
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2014-05-31, 13:20:06 »
I'll stick with my bucklers.... But that is a nice shield.