"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: Where to begin? New Kit in the working..  (Read 75581 times)

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Where to begin? New Kit in the working..
« Reply #31 on: 2014-05-03, 13:21:21 »
OK, here is the Garment set I am looking at.

http://historicenterprises.com/mens-c-99/outfits-packages-mens-c-99_111/package-14th15th-century-underwear-p-1307.html

Awesome! You can also get a pair of shoes too. Remember to keep in mind what country and social class your going for. Viking leather crafts have nice pairs, not the most historically accurate, but play the part well enough. it best to get the vibram soles instead of their regular soles because the leather soles they make are inaccurate and slippery. All they do is add a rigged rubber texture to the bottom of the shoe but when walking around no one will notice it. Most shoe companies make slippery bottom shoes. Here, take a look at these: http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/14th-century-boots-and-shoes.html

Another place that I that I have been told have good stuff is Revival Clothing, But I have only ever gotten anything from Historic enterprises. Just a note, historic enterprises do not pre wash clothing so that if your purchase is to large for you, you can wash it and shrink it yourself! There is usually a 14 day return policy too.
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2014-05-03, 13:58:19 »
OK, here is the Garment set I am looking at.

http://historicenterprises.com/mens-c-99/outfits-packages-mens-c-99_111/package-14th15th-century-underwear-p-1307.html

that package is well passed your intended timeline.

You don't want a vest, and you want single leg wool hose (chausses), not split hose.

All inner garments should be linen, and outer garments wool.  The Alexander Cotehardie or regular Cotehardie are appropriate for an outer garment for your time.  And then a wool hood to top it off.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-03, 14:05:59 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #33 on: 2014-05-03, 14:23:05 »
Ok, what would you recommend of the packages for mid 14th with a bit of plate armor.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2014-05-03, 14:29:56 »
If you really just want to buy a package I would recommend these to get you started on a decent mid 14th century impression:

Alexander Cotehardie Combo

Cotehardie Combo

The mid 14th century was the first time that fashion tended toward tailored fitted garments.

This one will do for a more basic impression:
Bocksten Tunic Package
« Last Edit: 2014-05-03, 14:32:17 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2014-05-04, 21:45:45 »
I would have held off on that arming cotte... it's about 75+ years in the future, and if you plan on wearing a maille haubergeon it provides no padding (I used to own one).  If you don't plan on ever wearing maille under your plate it will do just fine (if historical accuracy is a concern, maille is always seen under plate in the 14th century, especially mid-14th century when it's still a primary protection), but will still be a slight anachronism.  Maille worn over a non-padded garment is no fun.  If that doesn't matter to you, then it will serve it's purpose fairly well.  I believe both Sirs Nathan and James use the same garment. 

**edit**

I noticed you ordered no outerwear for your upper body, was this intended, or are you intending to use the arming cotte as a doublet?  Think of your kit building in 3 distinct sets of gear:

1. Soft Kit - Civilian Wear
 2. Arming Garments - what will you wear under your armor, serves as a foundation and suspension point for 3.
 3. Hard kit - everything that goes on the arming garments and is pretty and shiny

Each phase of the kit requires just as much attention to detail and research before making purchases, and should be purchased in that order because they all build on each other since pieces of soft kit stay on for arming garments, and all that is required to fit armor.  I would argue that #2 is the most important as it will make or break #3 no matter how much money you spend on your armor.

**super double edit**

Look, here's the bottom line, I'm not trying to be the history police.  When someone expresses that they want a historically accurate kit, I try to help as much as I can.  What I found in developing my kit was as time went on I learned more and more what needed to be tweaked and outright discarded as historical accuracy became my focus (and it's still a long ways off).  If someone else expresses interest in going that route, I don't want others to make the same and very $$costly$$ mistakes that I made along the way.  I know some people don't take kindly to that kind of direction, so if it's unwanted, please let me know and I'll shut up.  I just want to pimp you out in the best mid-14th century kit you're willing to get in to! :)  I also need feedback from you on how deep down the rabbit hole you really want to go ;)
« Last Edit: 2014-05-04, 22:17:41 by Ian »
My Pinterest

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #37 on: 2014-05-04, 21:46:18 »
Sir Ian knows his period. :) I just realized my black/brass look makes me like like the medival standard of the modern magistrate. LOL
« Last Edit: 2014-05-04, 21:49:28 by Lord Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2014-05-04, 22:18:12 »
I just realized my black/brass look makes me like like the medival standard of the modern magistrate. LOL

But it looks sharp as all hell!
My Pinterest

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2014-05-05, 02:54:59 »
Sorry, arming coat was my suggestion since I have one, it has worked well the last 3 years, will be totally hidden by the plate, and with the caveat that the kit isn't specifically for living history standards. My first suggestion was to make a Charles de Blois like Sir Ian did; arming coat was second. With multiple layers - undergarments, arming clothing, maille, and plate, less bulk seems to be better from my experience.

I've done a haubergeon under my plate before, and with a linen shirt, the double-layer arming coat, haubergeon, then full cuirass, it really isn't too bad. The flexibility at the elbow is the main thing for me; too much bulk, you can't bend or move right. Gambesons with the padded arms hinder too much; Chris and Brian (my brother) both had arm bending issues in gambesons with 14th century style armor; wasn't made for their size specifically, but bulk was the reason, you could see it bunching when they bent their arms.

I don't even like 9mm maille for that very reason, and I'm having heck with my voiders because of it. If I made a fully custom garment, I'd go with no padding on the arms except the wrist/cuff, back half of the elbow, a double-layer on the shoulders (shoulder fatigue reduction), and none in the torso except for a single layer on the hips. I'd consider it my "luxury" arming gear.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2014-05-05, 17:29:40 »
Sorry, arming coat was my suggestion since I have one, it has worked well the last 3 years, will be totally hidden by the plate, and with the caveat that the kit isn't specifically for living history standards. My first suggestion was to make a Charles de Blois like Sir Ian did; arming coat was second. With multiple layers - undergarments, arming clothing, maille, and plate, less bulk seems to be better from my experience.

Cool, no worries.  You explained all the concessions about that cotte then anyway, so it was an informed decision.  That was my concern.
My Pinterest

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #41 on: 2014-05-05, 20:50:25 »
As much as I would love to do a fully historic kit, right now I am focusing on semi accurate til I am more money stable to purchase the correct items. I am trying to limit the amount of items that I get, and only get items that would make a kit look to be accurate. Just trying to fudge things a bit til then.

So basically this is a Faire / small event kit where I can get away with not being accurate.

I will start piecing together correct items bit by bit to make a living history kit later down the road. Thanks for all input and suggestions as they will help with making my kit more accurate when I start piecing together the right stuff.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #42 on: 2014-05-05, 23:21:38 »
;) you'll look great Jason. you'll have to beat the ladies and Jon off with a stick lol ahhaha

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #43 on: 2014-05-06, 13:32:20 »
So basically this is a Faire / small event kit where I can get away with not being accurate.

I will start piecing together correct items bit by bit to make a living history kit later down the road. Thanks for all input and suggestions as they will help with making my kit more accurate when I start piecing together the right stuff.

That's basically where I am with most of my kits. You're going to look great! I look forward to seeing how it progresses.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #44 on: 2014-05-06, 13:32:54 »
;) you'll look great Jason. you'll have to beat the ladies and Jon off with a stick lol ahhaha

lol, I almost missed the "and Jon" part there. Hah! :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )