"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: She's a witch! Burn her!!!  (Read 13451 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: She's a witch! Burn her!!!
« Reply #15 on: 2014-03-27, 02:30:33 »
I may look Into that for college.

Avoid a history degree like the plague. Yeah it's fascinating and fun (and also quite tough deoending on the program), but if you want a job within a year of graduating, you're better off with something else. Many of my fellow history graduates that I know are still unemployed. I got very lucky and only got my job through connections. Liberal Arts are enlightening, but sadly they don't pay off loans and bills.

Ugh...isn't that the sad truth.... :-\

I already have a sustaining job as a tree worker, great money, hard work, makes me enjoy coming home to a nice stew. I plan to keep this job as long as I can. Plus, I get a good workout in lol. Maybe I like the job so much because it makes me feel like a woodsmen from the medieval era, except with chainsaws and trucks.

EDIT: Booming family business, so I'm not likely to loose this job :)
« Last Edit: 2014-03-27, 02:32:07 by Sir Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: 2014-03-27, 03:02:37 »
I may look Into that for college.

Avoid a history degree like the plague. Yeah it's fascinating and fun (and also quite tough deoending on the program), but if you want a job within a year of graduating, you're better off with something else. Many of my fellow history graduates that I know are still unemployed. I got very lucky and only got my job through connections. Liberal Arts are enlightening, but sadly they don't pay off loans and bills.

If I may ask, what job did you get?
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2014-03-27, 12:51:00 »
Strangely enough I do Software Support.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #18 on: 2014-03-27, 13:11:33 »

You can always bypass college and become a programmer. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #19 on: 2014-03-27, 17:07:11 »
Yeah my history degree got me a few odd jobs...started innocently enough...

High School History and Criminal Justice teacher...

College Admissions Officer...

Security Guard while working on my Masters...

Ran a presidential campaign office in North Carolina for 2012 Election...

Legal consultant....

Also working on social media and community manager for a political consulting firm on the side...it might turn into more down the road...need to brush up on my SQL and database management.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-03-27, 17:12:56 »

You can always bypass college and become a programmer. :)

Yea, who needs the manual anyway?  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2014-03-27, 20:02:07 »
Is it sad that I'm part of a generation that should know everything about electronics and I can hardly figure out how to use a computer, save turning on and using the internet. In fact I even had trouble trying to run WoW...

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #22 on: 2014-03-27, 21:12:50 »
Is it sad that I'm part of a generation that should know everything about electronics and I can hardly figure out how to use a computer, save turning on and using the internet. In fact I even had trouble trying to run WoW...

If it is sad, then I'm sad right along with you. For a while I could keep up with it, but anymore it just seems like it's advancing faster and faster and I'm just falling farther and farther behind. Shoot, I've only had the internet for about five years or so. :P
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2014-03-27, 21:45:53 »
I can keep up, but it's such things like coding, programming, and understanding the subtle workings of a computer that has me stumped

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2014-03-28, 04:09:36 »
I can keep up, but it's such things like coding, programming, and understanding the subtle workings of a computer that has me stumped

Its THE universal language, but one only few speak compared to the surplus population.

Some say we are coming to the singular age, but that frightens me a bit. As long as it can't create things I'll be fine. I am cool with AIs though.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #25 on: 2014-03-28, 04:20:14 »
ANY four year degree is better than none.  Many of you know I had a lengthy period of unemployment and underemployment in the not too distant past.  Even landing an interview in my field of property / facility management was nearly impossible as I don’t have a four degree in anything.

My sobering facts:
14 years of experience managing 1.5 million square feet of properties
Left company on good terms
Professional references aplenty
NO 4 year degree
300 job applications both on-line and in person
15 months unemployed / underemployed
5 interviews
1 job offer

Thank goodness that job offer was the job of my dreams.  So as to not be caught in that position ever again, I’m currently completing a professional certification through the University of Minnesota and completing a second professional certification through our state industry trade organization.  Once those are complete (mid 2015), I’ll complete the 1.5 years left of my undergraduate degree.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2014-03-28, 13:26:30 »
Congrats on that!! I've always had the deepest respect for people who push themselves to go back to school. Somehow they manage to get a degree while working and taking care of a family. If I had to do that while studying history it would have been a lot harder.

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #27 on: 2014-03-28, 13:43:32 »
ANY four year degree is better than none.  Many of you know I had a lengthy period of unemployment and underemployment in the not too distant past.  Even landing an interview in my field of property / facility management was nearly impossible as I don’t have a four degree in anything.

My sobering facts:
14 years of experience managing 1.5 million square feet of properties
Left company on good terms
Professional references aplenty
NO 4 year degree
300 job applications both on-line and in person
15 months unemployed / underemployed
5 interviews
1 job offer

Thank goodness that job offer was the job of my dreams.  So as to not be caught in that position ever again, I’m currently completing a professional certification through the University of Minnesota and completing a second professional certification through our state industry trade organization.  Once those are complete (mid 2015), I’ll complete the 1.5 years left of my undergraduate degree.

Aye, my wife is in the same boat. At 18 years old she took a job in the non profit sector and worked abroad in England for 8 years doing youth ministry and community organizing/event planning. She got a job at an IT firm doing Marketing for 2 years here in Raleigh when she got back and when they merged with another company became redundant. She is having the hardest time even getting interviews because she doesn't have a degree!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #28 on: 2014-03-28, 15:00:13 »

There's some truth to that. As computers get easier to use, there's less of a need to learn their inner workings in order to use one (and the inner workings get more and more complicated over time). I think it's getting harder to just pick up a book and learn to program.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2014-03-30, 14:31:53 »
Must have still been a valid document during the salem witch trials.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"