"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Medieval Trencher  (Read 29373 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: Medieval Trencher
« Reply #30 on: 2014-04-04, 01:08:55 »

Isn't it Sir Nathans job to mentor this child  ;)

That's frightening...

In what way?  Sir Nathan is a fully fledged knight of the Order, unlike our young Nate here, who is a newly-minted Page, as is his brother, Aiden (who is Sir Ian's protege/mentee).  Besides, I had my first taste of beer at age 11 or 12 I think; didn't kill me or make me into a delinquent.  Mind you, I took the poison off my Dad's (just means first sip).  I didn't like it then...but I love it now!

May I add that these things Nate are what colleges look for so be wary of what you say on the internet. If you noticed any statements I made in regard to this stuff I used a choice of words to evade such problems. Posts like these could ruin a college career.

William, I may like that stuff in the future, but right now I have to and prefer to stick with the root bear lol
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2014-04-04, 04:39:31 »
I mean it purely in jest. I've had the good fortune of enjoying Sir Nathan's good company at a few parties at CUA. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy and has my utmost respect. As for underage drinking, I am in no way a member of the Temperance movement. I remember getting completely drunk for the first time at 16. I see that my jocular sarcasm seems to have not been adequately communicated. Alas, text can be a poor medium at times.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #32 on: 2014-04-04, 12:57:30 »
May I add that these things Nate are what colleges look for so be wary of what you say on the internet. If you noticed any statements I made in regard to this stuff I used a choice of words to evade such problems. Posts like these could ruin a college career.

Not just colleges, but employers too. It's scary in some sectors of the working world. Teachers have been fired for having party pictures on facebook that showed them drinking *something* from a plastic cup. Some companies ask people for their facebook passwords so they can more easily look through it. It's crazy.

So it's something worth keeping in mind.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2014-04-04, 13:51:05 »
One thing I've always done at parties before I was 21 was to always drink out of a solo cup. That way if a photo of me ended up online, there was no proof I was ever drinking alcohol.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2014-04-04, 15:06:41 »
Lighten up people! 
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #35 on: 2014-04-04, 16:23:55 »
+ 1. You're killing my buzz  :)
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Stanislaw

• Rycerz
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: 2014-04-04, 16:47:07 »
In the fare of several Eastern European countries, you'll find that bread bowls or trenchers are pretty common too. Bigos, for example, is very commonly eaten out of a "trencher".
« Last Edit: 2014-04-04, 16:47:23 by Stanislaw »
"Sword fighting requires heart; if you frighten easily, then you are not to learn to sword fight. The whole art would be lost, because the roar of the impact and the rough strokes make a cowardly heart fearful."
-Master Hans Talhoffer

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #37 on: 2014-04-04, 17:57:32 »
Lighten up people!

+ 1. You're killing my buzz  :)

Sorry, just a bit of a digression there. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2014-04-05, 23:57:25 »
Lighten up people! 
Thank you.

Not just colleges, but employers too. It's scary in some sectors of the working world. Teachers have been fired for having party pictures on facebook that showed them drinking *something* from a plastic cup. Some companies ask people for their facebook passwords so they can more easily look through it. It's crazy.

So it's something worth keeping in mind.

Ive never had a beer, And I won't until I am of age.
But let us get back To the Beer flavored Trenchers of Bready Joy.

Would pita be a good substitute?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #39 on: 2014-04-17, 21:02:26 »
I put some pita in the toaster oven and it made a pretty good trencher I must say. Nice thickness, sturdy, liquids won't soak through it. I simply took some pita bread and put it in the toaster oven at 400 degrees on bake. I had it in there for about ten minutes but you can have it in there as long as you think it should. But that was with bread about 7 inches in diameter and half an inch thick. Just need to find one that is about a foot in diameter. It still tastes good. I say that's the easy way to make a trencher if you want to cheat a bit. Works rather nicely.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #40 on: 2014-04-18, 02:39:19 »
I really want to go for black bread. It's a little more period and its got a great hearty and slightly bitter taste.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #41 on: 2014-04-18, 15:53:07 »
I really want to go for black bread. It's a little more period and its got a great hearty and slightly bitter taste.

If you can than do it! I just find this to be good if in the need to make a trencher on the fly, or for a large body of people quickly. But like everything else, period is best most of the time.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #42 on: 2014-04-18, 15:53:58 »
Black bread has to be one of the best tasting breads I've ever had (then again I haven't had that many breads)

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 2014-04-18, 15:59:15 »
Or just stop eating like dirty peasants and get a pewter or wooden trencher :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #44 on: 2014-04-18, 16:03:35 »
My apologies if I'm not as technologically advanced as you 14th century knights