"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Your optimum sword length?  (Read 4974 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Your optimum sword length?
« on: 2014-05-06, 23:44:27 »
What is Your optimum grip & overall length for a sword meant to be primarily 2-Handed for training and/or sparring?

Is it influenced by what gauntlets you wear?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Your optimum sword length?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-07, 05:19:28 »
I tend to prefer 35-36 inches like the Albion Reeve and the type XIV type swords. For some reason longer swords feel more awkward like I am not supposed to use them on foot and are meant for horseback instead.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-07, 13:01:13 »

Yes, I think this is highly subjective, since it'll come down to your own size. Your height, arm length, hand size, and strength may all factor in, as it may depend on what level of leverage and reach you want, and what feels natural to you.

But yes, I would take the gauntlets into account, because if they bulk your hands up at all, you're probably going to want the grip to be large enough to comfortably accommodate that.

Personally, I find longswords to be the most comfortable around what we would call an "average" or "typical" size for them. Roughly 48" long overall, with about 36" of that in the blade. It gives you reach and leverage, but still remains within a size that can be used one-handed briefly.

A lot of the historical two-handed swords (German Zweihander, Italian Spadone, Iberian Montante) could typically be around 60" long, with a similar proportional blade/grip length within that. But these varied widely, and I don't think there's a "one size fits all" or "perfect" set of dimensions here. Some period examples might be closer to 70" in length, but that's pushing into the territory of "bearing swords", which were parade accessories, and not weapons. If you're going to use a weapon that's as tall as you are, or bigger, it might as well be a poleaxe.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-08, 23:09:03 »
BTW today I gave my greatsword a bris. It's now 1.5" shorter & feels just that right touch of better in my hands (yeah I know how that sounds).

It was too goy for my tastes before.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-09, 02:34:20 »
Sir Edward Basically Nailed it, It can very but there seems to be an Average size for two handed Blades.
And their are too many jokes to be made here.
I saw your two handed sword Thorsteinn, It looks good.
As an Example I feel the Templar sword on-
http://darksword-armory.com/products-page/medieval-swords/two-handed-templar-medieval-sword-1339/
-Is a good two handed sword, But the blade looks a bit short, Despite it being 38 in.
But overall it is 48 in.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-09, 03:49:02 »
But overall it is 48 in.

Nate that was a gift for a local TKD master I spar with, and inspired by Albion's 'The Duke'.

My sparring greatsword is 53.5 OLA, 14" grip, 10" curved quillions, 2 side rings, 37.5" blade, & weights 3.5lbs. It has an Iron Pipe fitting for a pommel and a Clang Armoury bastard sword crossguard for the hardware. Means I can't pommel strike but I can swing it one handed a bit.
« Last Edit: 2014-05-09, 21:47:38 by Thorsteinn »

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2014-05-10, 02:31:17 »
i remember the old rule of holding your sword and being able to down slash at the ground. you go thru the grass but not hit the dirt. and that was your optimum sword length.

Lord Chagatai

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2014-05-10, 21:35:53 »
i remember the old rule of holding your sword and being able to down slash at the ground. you go thru the grass but not hit the dirt. and that was your optimum sword length.

Yep thats how I judge mine....and its a good way to judge it too. I use light weight swords in tournament but train with heavier swords so that my shots are hard and quick..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-12, 17:12:59 »
Long enough to stab the other guy with.

I've heard two guidelines, both I believe are modern since I've never heard a period context for it.

One-handed swords, as Sir Wolf said (hold in hand, should go near the ground but not touch it).

Long swords, height of the ground to under your armpit. (I've used a little under and a little over, and been fine with both)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2014-05-12, 23:27:52 »
I did what Sir Wolf was talking about, my Reeve is just perfect honestly, though my Ritter does touch the ground. Though I think the reason for it was it's a cavalry sword while the Reeve is a footman's sword.