Main > The Round Table

A Knight and Love

<< < (3/4) > >>

Mike W.:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-20, 20:28:38 ---

Yep. The name escapes me, but I remember someone who was married and had "courtly love" with a married woman. He hurt his finger at tournament and wrote to her about it. She said not good enough. He cut off his finger and sent it to her.

I don't plan to be *that* knightly. :)

I believe part of the intent of "courtly" love followed "courting" - the process men go through when trying to win a woman's love. As Sir William said, I also don't think it was ever particularly meant to be consumated, though it certainly did happen in some instances.

--- End quote ---

Box of chocolates? F*** that, I'm sending her a box of body parts!

Aiden of Oreland:
Sir James you speak of Sir Ulrich Von Lichtenstein of Gelderland. You know, the person Sir William from Knight's Tale impersonates.

Sir Nate:
Well it seems I'll become a Templar. When my family questions me being kit in relationship ill just tell them because I'm a Templar.

Makes me think of Ironclad. He was still chivalrous towards the lady but he didn't want any sexual relations.
In the end love and chivalry is just a misconception then isn't it?
It's all good feed back, Sir Patrick really nailed it first thing. As did sir William.

--- Quote from: wilburnicus on 2014-02-20, 19:47:08 ---As I recently stated in another post, my opinion of chivalry (in its purest and ahistorical sense) is not some rigorous code with various rules and exceptions, but rather one simple rule: Love others. Or if you're a religious type: "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." And loving yourself doesn't mean narcissistic, arrogant love, but a nurturing, caring, and disciplined love necessary to make ourselves better so that we may better serve others.

Romantic love is something that we can become blessed with in our lives, but it is no way a requirement for being a good person. Now mind you all of this is from an ahistorical perspective. Sadly, I am not entirely familiar with the historical rules and rituals of romantic and courtly love.

--- End quote ---

That seems more along the lines of compassion wilburnicus. Which is still an important part of chivalry.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-02-20, 21:54:57 ---Sir James you speak of Sir Ulrich Von Lichtenstein of Gelderland. You know, the person Sir William from Knight's Tale impersonates.

--- End quote ---

Aha! That sounds right. I kept thinking Marshal, but I knew it wasn't Marshal, and knew it was from an old Mike Loades joust show that mentions Marshal - and he does indeed mention Ulrich too. Well done!

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: wilburnicus on 2014-02-20, 21:40:12 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-02-20, 20:28:38 ---

Yep. The name escapes me, but I remember someone who was married and had "courtly love" with a married woman. He hurt his finger at tournament and wrote to her about it. She said not good enough. He cut off his finger and sent it to her.

I don't plan to be *that* knightly. :)

I believe part of the intent of "courtly" love followed "courting" - the process men go through when trying to win a woman's love. As Sir William said, I also don't think it was ever particularly meant to be consumated, though it certainly did happen in some instances.

--- End quote ---

Box of chocolates? F*** that, I'm sending her a box of body parts!

--- End quote ---

Hey, everyones doing it, Sir Ulrich Von Lichtenstein, Vincent van Gogh...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version