"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: 13th and 14th c. Kits  (Read 43350 times)

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
Re: 13th and 14th c. Kits
« Reply #60 on: 2014-03-10, 19:13:06 »
Nice! I know winter tree crafts has a pretty nice one, so does mad matt. If you really want an intense one check out this from clang: http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/body%20pics/brig%20red%20suede%2001.html
« Last Edit: 2014-03-10, 19:13:28 by Sir Aiden »
-"I raise not the sword, but the shield."-Aiden Max

Don Jorge

• Learning is living...
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • He who fears death is already dead...
« Reply #61 on: 2014-03-10, 20:04:53 »
Alas, that is very 15th century...I am making my Corrazina as a happy medium. Oh and this guys' is significantly cheaper than mad matt or winter tree crafts.

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #62 on: 2014-03-10, 23:11:05 »
Alas, that is very 15th century...I am making my Corrazina as a happy medium. Oh and this guys' is significantly cheaper than mad matt or winter tree crafts.

Ya its 15th century sadly. Ya his looks real nice, but im starting with a 13th century kit, i may buy a coat of plates but it won't be a wisby era one, it'll be the late 13th century ones. Maybe if he still has it in maybe 5 years from now I'll gladly take it off his hands, if it is still there and it will even fit me.

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #63 on: 2014-03-11, 02:07:11 »
I've yet to handle a "real" sword, most of my weapons are mere wallhangers. As blasphemous as it may sound to this group, if I were to shell out 800 bucks for a weapon, I'd be slightly more inclined to choose a nice handgun. ...

Nothing wrong with having your own priorities. I have both firearms and swords, and I bet most people like us do. If you only have enough money to buy one nice and one "good enough", I'd have to choose the handgun first because it's more practical. But, the same might not be true for any other person in the same shoes. Depends on the person.

Scott

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #64 on: 2014-03-11, 04:30:46 »
my choices are usually - Do I want the Type XIIa sword, or the 1858 Remington Army Revolver?
I'd much rather a historic firearm over a modern.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #65 on: 2014-03-11, 13:04:37 »
I've yet to handle a "real" sword, most of my weapons are mere wallhangers. As blasphemous as it may sound to this group, if I were to shell out 800 bucks for a weapon, I'd be slightly more inclined to choose a nice handgun. ...

Nothing wrong with having your own priorities. I have both firearms and swords, and I bet most people like us do. If you only have enough money to buy one nice and one "good enough", I'd have to choose the handgun first because it's more practical. But, the same might not be true for any other person in the same shoes. Depends on the person.

While that's true, I still always have to give the advice of "get both". ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 2014-03-11, 16:53:20 »

While that's true, I still always have to give the advice of "get both". ;)

Seconded :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #67 on: 2014-03-11, 18:57:41 »
There are always airsoft guns ;)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #68 on: 2014-03-11, 19:06:52 »
How do nerf guns sound?
Farby.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #69 on: 2014-04-15, 21:41:03 »
So I may order this tonight in a large because my normal head circumference is 24": http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB0387&name=Kettle+Hat

If correct this works for both infantry and German knights, or practically any soldier from the 12th-15th century in general. Will definitely help when it comes to making multiple kits.
« Last Edit: 2014-04-15, 21:43:17 by Sir Aiden »

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #70 on: 2014-04-17, 19:20:13 »
you will want to leave extra space for a maille coif and a padded cap (and big hair if you have it). I normally have a small head, but I got the Large Spangenhelm and it fits perfectly.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #71 on: 2014-04-17, 19:23:44 »
you will want to leave extra space for a maille coif and a padded cap (and big hair if you have it). I normally have a small head, but I got the Large Spangenhelm and it fits perfectly.

Yes!  Rule of thumb when sizing any armor is to measure OVER whatever you expect to be wearing under it.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #72 on: 2014-04-17, 21:07:10 »

Yes!  Rule of thumb when sizing any armor is to measure OVER whatever you expect to be wearing under it.

Yuppers, that's why I want to get it in a large, because my head is 24" and the small is just that.

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #73 on: 2014-05-16, 18:27:21 »
Coming back to this topic because there was a discussion of belt hardware earlier. I've finally gotten around to looking into it some more. At the moment, here's what I'm looking at for my soft kit:

Buckle:
http://lorifactor.com/p541,b-021-a-d-shaped-belt-buckle.html

Strapend:
http://lorifactor.com/p680,s-005-strapend-from-gdansk.html

It seems like that buckle is more or less "generic" and would be appropriate for just about anywhere, but what about the strapend?  Alternatively, would I be better off just leaving the end of the belt bare since this isn't actually a "knightly" belt?
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Aiden of Oreland

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #74 on: 2014-05-16, 19:01:02 »
Coming back to this topic because there was a discussion of belt hardware earlier. I've finally gotten around to looking into it some more. At the moment, here's what I'm looking at for my soft kit:

Buckle:
http://lorifactor.com/p541,b-021-a-d-shaped-belt-buckle.html

Strapend:
http://lorifactor.com/p680,s-005-strapend-from-gdansk.html

It seems like that buckle is more or less "generic" and would be appropriate for just about anywhere, but what about the strapend?  Alternatively, would I be better off just leaving the end of the belt bare since this isn't actually a "knightly" belt?

Nope, this would have been worn on and off the field brass fittings and all. Weather you were a knight or not.