"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: I Want to be an 11th century Norman Knight  (Read 27379 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: I Want to be an 11th century Norman Knight
« Reply #15 on: 2014-02-11, 02:07:25 »
So I've come to a dilemma with the soft kit. Historic Enterprises has the Complete Anglo-Saxon Outfit: ( http://historicenterprises.com/mens-c-99/outfits-packages-mens-c-99_111/outfit-anglosaxon-complete-linen-p-870.html ) which comes with St. Louis Shirt, a Moselund-esque Tunic, Trousers, and Winingas and a bonus brooch. They also sell The 13th Century Package ( http://historicenterprises.com/mens-c-99/outfits-packages-mens-c-99_111/package-13th-century-underwear-complete-wool-p-1303.html ) which comes with St. Louis Shirt, Braies, Wool Hose, and a bonus coif (all of which I could re-purpose for another kit), but I'd have to get the tunic and the winigas separately, which comes out to about $25 more. So the issue is would a Norman knight wear hose or trousers, a Moselund Tunic or a Skjoldehamn Tunic?
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2014-02-11, 15:46:29 »
Painted helms was definitely not unusual during the run of the medieval period. Whether or not that practice ran as far back as the Norman Conquest, though, I can't say for sure.

My suspicion is that helms were painted more often than not, when we're talking 11th - 13th centuries. It's an easy way to protect against rust, and make people identifiable on the field. We know it was done, it's just hard to find proof as to where on the spectrum it was, between "sometimes", "usually", or "always".
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2014-02-11, 18:53:15 »
So I've come to a dilemma with the soft kit. Historic Enterprises has the Complete Anglo-Saxon Outfit: ( http://historicenterprises.com/mens-c-99/outfits-packages-mens-c-99_111/outfit-anglosaxon-complete-linen-p-870.html ) which comes with St. Louis Shirt, a Moselund-esque Tunic, Trousers, and Winingas and a bonus brooch. They also sell The 13th Century Package ( http://historicenterprises.com/mens-c-99/outfits-packages-mens-c-99_111/package-13th-century-underwear-complete-wool-p-1303.html ) which comes with St. Louis Shirt, Braies, Wool Hose, and a bonus coif (all of which I could re-purpose for another kit), but I'd have to get the tunic and the winigas separately, which comes out to about $25 more. So the issue is would a Norman knight wear hose or trousers, a Moselund Tunic or a Skjoldehamn Tunic?

Where in the 11th Century are you, portrayal-wise?  Is there a specific event or battle that you're aiming for?  If you mentioned it before, I apologize for missing it- knowing your time frame will help with choosing the right item to wear or display.  Since you specify 'Norman', I don't know that you'd wear Anglo-Saxon style clothing...as a Norman your probable outlook would be one of subjugation; adopting local dress and customs wasn't something the Normans were known for.  I could be wrong, of course.
« Last Edit: 2014-02-11, 18:54:14 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2014-02-11, 21:13:07 »
I'm going for a typical Norman Knight as he would have appeared at the Battle of Hastings.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2014-02-11, 21:43:46 »
Then you definitely do not want the Anglo-Saxon package; might be worth reading up on the subject as it is your area of interest.  Since I haven't dabbled in that period I know little about it; my first interest was the Crusades which might be useful to you in that it started at the end of the 11th century so some of the garments may be appropriate for an earlier portrayal.

I've gotten some good info here:  http://angevin.org/ - a website dedicated to Anglo-Norman portrayals (also happens to have Elizabeth Chadwick as a card-carrying member); should give you a decent start.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2014-02-11, 22:01:39 »
It seems as though hose would be more appropriate. Even the Osprey book (which I find to be generally trustworthy) mentioned hose, though they also mentioned trousers. I think the hose will be more versatile in the long run.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2014-02-11, 22:53:50 »
trousers are in the iffy world. there are really only 1 pair of trousers found and they are from the thorjborg finds. and they are way outta date for normans.... but accepted ok for saxons for soem reason lol

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2014-02-12, 15:02:54 »
So I guess it boils down to- which would you prefer?  Trousers or hosen?  Personally, I prefer trousers, but I think that's mostly due to modern convenience...hosen and pointing to braies is a pain and I always feel somewhat under protected.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2014-02-12, 16:16:54 »
but u need 2 belts for trousers. one for the trousers and one over the tunic.

oh, and don't forget the period norman haircut. you gotta do it lol

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2014-02-12, 18:33:12 »
LOL

I do a close approximation of the Norman style bowl cut.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2014-02-12, 22:51:33 »
As much as I value historical accuracy, I do have a professional reputation to maintain. I think my boss might find it weird if I came in with the back of my head shaved.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2014-02-13, 00:17:52 »
The Normans did use chausses and braies. I use an anglo saxon tunic with my kit which is 13th century but it works for it. It's actually quite a good tunic but I would suggest that combo for the Normans as thats what I heard from the vikings north america group I hung with at DoK 1. You also could add some leg wraps to it as well as I've seen them used on period Norman art.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #27 on: 2014-02-13, 02:47:07 »
As much as I value historical accuracy, I do have a professional reputation to maintain. I think my boss might find it weird if I came in with the back of my head shaved.

aww thats cute lol

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2014-02-13, 03:27:21 »

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 2014-02-13, 19:21:52 »

Not until he tailors his mail sleeves! ;)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent