Main > The Round Table

Lets skip Middle Ages!

(1/4) > >>

Aiden of Oreland:
A major Problem in my school district is that they hardly teach about the Middle Ages. It Literally teaches the Fall of Rome and goes traight to the settling of America. What happened to that 1000 years in between? My brothers class only made it to the vikings and my class tought that castles keep people out and knights wore suits of armor and rode horses. Thats it. I don't know how involved all of your schools got into that subject.(I put this under this section of the forum because I find this to be a major issue, it can be moved if wished). Do you find this to be a big deal? Do you think it isn't necessary for children to be educated about it? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Sir Edward:

Yeah, I think it varies a lot by school, and has probably changed a bit since I was in school. I remember us very lightly hitting upon it in middle school. We covered Charlemagne, and a few other things, but mostly skipped our period of interest. In high school, it was mostly U.S. history.

Sir James A:
I don't remember anything specific about the middle ages from when I was in school. I like to think I would have remembered, since I was into swords / armor / knights since I was little.

Much as I would like to say "teach ALL the medieval history!", I think it would be more prudent that they give equal time and consideration to all periods of history. It seems biased that they make such a huge leap in time.

Sir Patrick:
We pretty much skipped it as well. The narrative went like this:

Rome fell. The Crusades happened. People liked the spices the crusaders brought back. Italians set up trade with east. The renaissance occurred. Fast forward to Columbus and the American Revolution.

No wonder people have trouble understanding the root causes of a lot if world problems!

Sir Douglas:
Wait...they still teach history in school!? :o

I remember when I was in public school, we didn't even have history. Like...at all. We had a form of something they claimed was "social studies", but it wasn't even that. I don't know what it was. It wasn't until I was pulled out of public school and started homeschooling (yeah, I'm one of...them), that I had a proper history course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version